1. Default Road Trip Out West from NY for just over 2 weeks

Hi Everyone!

My friend and I are planning a road trip out west this summer (leaving New York August 1st). Our main goal is to hit the Badlands/Black Hills, Mount Rushmore, enter Yellowstone from the north and come south into the Grand Teton NP. On our way home we'll drive through the Rockies and continue on home from there.

Is 16 days enough to do all of this? I'm afraid we've maybe planned too much activity for our allotted time (we're both teachers so we need to be back in NY before school starts). If we still want to see everything the west has to offer what are the MUST SEE attractions?

Also, can anyone recommend a scenic route to take while we head back to NY from Colorado? We're not really sure of things to see or do on our trip home.

2. Default

Also, since my friend and I are both musicians, we would love to find any music festivals along the way. I've already discovered the Grand Teton Music Festival and we're looking forward to attending some concerts there. Any other ones people are aware of during the first two weeks of August?

Tucson, AZ

Default For Scenery and Music

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I'm assuming that "New York" means New York City. But no, what you've got planned is not an unreasonable trip to try to complete in two weeks. You're looking at about nine days of solid driving to complete the out-and-back loop, leaving you seven days to spread around on your trip to see and do things. That's not a bad mix ratio at all.

So, westbound, you'll want to pretty much stick to I-80/I-90 all the way to Wyoming, but on the way you might want to stop off at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, enjoy the Chicago night life scene, and maybe even enjoy the odd stop at places like the Circus Museum in Baraboo WI or the Corn Palace in Mitchell SD. There are also a number of other attractions in the Badlands/Mount Rushmore area including the Crazy Horse Memorial, Wind and Jewel Caves, and Devils Tower. West of there, if you stay on I-90 up into Montana, you'll pass by the Little Bighorn Battlefield and have the opportunity to enter Yellowstone from Billings via US-212, the Beartooth Highway, an incredible piece of road.

Returning from Yellowstone down through the Grand Tetons, US-287 would then bring you down through the Wind River Range of the Rockies to Rawlins WY, setting you up for the 'back road' entrance into Rocky Mountain National Park via WY-130/WY-230/CO-125 to Granby CO and US-34 into and through the park. On the other side of RMNP, Boulder is another town with a vibrant music/busker scene that you might enjoy. Continuing down to Denver on US-34 and out onto the Plains on I-70 will put you in position to come through Kansas City and St. Louis, two more cities with great night life venues and then to use I-64 across Kentucky and into West Virginia for the final run up the Appalachians on I-79/I-68/I-81 to just past Harrisburg where I-78 will bring you back to NYC.