1. Default Road trip from grand canyon to Mesa verde

Hey guys! I need advice on the best places to stay on my trip from the grand canyon to southern Colorado. We plan to go to the 4 corners museum and Mesa Verde. So suggestions of must sees would be appreciated! Thanks

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The answer to what is best will depend upon a whole lot of different factors many of which you haven't told us yet, such as how long you have for the trip (and is this the whole thing or just a part of it), who is in your traveling party, and where in Southern Colorado you are heading.

Just a short list of other possible stops would include Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelly, Natural Bridges NM, and the Million Dollar Highway.

Since it's really small, you need reservations, but if you want to stay near Monument Valley, you can try Valley of the Gods Bed & Breakfast in Mexican Hat, UT.

Also, if you're up for adventure and want to pass into CO via NM, Kokopelli's cave is a very different type place to lay your head down for the night - a cave!

We're heading into that area tomorrow, arriving sometime over the weekend and plan to hit Monument Valley, Four Corners, Mesa Verde and the southern San Juan's from Durango to Ridgway, CO.

Have fun!

Tucson, AZ

Default Generally Speaking

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

That is a great area to spend some time in. As a 'base camp' I'd suggest that you look at Durango. It was recently voted one of the Ten Best Small Towns in America (It actually ranked sixth) by Smothsonian Magazineand puts most of southwestern Colorado within easy day trip distance. I recently spent a week or so in that area in a family RoadTrip. Besides the hints you can glean from that, I'd also suggest that you look into Monument Valley, the Durango-Silverton Railroad, Canyons of the Ancients National Monument, and Yucca House National Monument - all within an hour or two of Durango. A couple of others that are a bit farther afield are the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Canyonlands National Park and Canyon de Chelly National Monument.

5. Default

Thanks for the quick response. We plan to visit the grand canyon for one day and then we will need a place to stay between grand canyon and mesa verde. I was thinking tuba city but wasnt sure. Then the next morning we will head out towards Colorado and spend time at 4 corners then at Mesa verde. We are from Nebraska so we are on our way back home and will need a place to stay after Mesa verde. I was thinking pagosa springs. What ate your thoughts?

If heading up to Mexican Hat (from Flagstaff - 3.5hr) is too much, Kayenta, AZ is 2.75hr and Tuba City is 1.5hr.

If you head out of GC and take the exit via 64 heading toward Cameron, that'll save distance, but not much time overall - although your route will be prettier.

Personally I prefer to push forward to somewhere if I'm not terribly tired so we can start our day somewhere instead of having to drive to get there, so I'd push to Kayenta or Mexican Hat myself.

Durango would probably be a nicer place to stay than Tuba City. They have plenty of lodging facilities and downtown Durango is a nice place to visit.

If you're traveling with kids, they would get a kick out of Greant Sand Dunes Nat'l Park. Great Sand Dunes Lodge is a nice little motel with a very good restaurant that is right outside the park.

Have A Great Trip
    Last edited by Charlie H; 05-16-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Heading home to NE.....

If you stop/stay in Kayenta or Mexican Hat, then you can go to Durango the next night and play in that area for however long you have since once you do Four Corners, unless there is something south, like Canyon de Chelle or Chaco Canyon on your plan, you can enjoy that area easily, with little driving for a few days, then push off.

Depending on what you want to do and your time:

Durango --> Grand Junction --> Glenwood Springs --> Estes Park --> Cheyenne --> Nebraska
    Durango --> Pueblo --> Colorado Springs --> Denver --> Nebraska
    Durango --> Gunnison --> Denver --> Nebraska

Or any other routes that might suit your fancy! Pagosa Springs is nice, but not an area I'd pick to stop, but that's might be exactly what you're looking for!

South of England.

Default The small detail.

It would seem you only arrive to the Grand canyon the day you leave towards Mesa Verde. [?] If thats the case you wouldn't [or at least I wouldn't] want to have to leave the canyon too early and take on a long drive. Outside of the east entrance is the Cameron Trading post which are the closest lodgings outside of the park. Now if you only have 2 days to get home you would be really tight for time to visit Four corners, Mesa Verde and have time to visit the remains there. Four corners is very remote and other than the photo opportunity of a limb in each State, there is very little there. It's good if you are passing by and have time to spare, but on a trip like yours I could think of better ways to spend my time if I'm honest. You could possibly look to stay in Monument Valley after GC [Gouldings Lodge] although you would need to check availability. Pagosa Springs is a nice little town but I personally would probably head north from Durango on the very scenic 'Million Dollar Highway' through the mountain towns of Silverton and Ouray to Montrose and then east on US50 through Currecanti Rec area and over Monarch Pass.

A lot will depend on what time you will arrive at the Grand canyon and how much time you want there which will help determine the first night stop, where in Nebraska you are heading and how many miles you need to cover on the last day to get home.