1. Default Driving NJ to Colorado

Working in Colorado this summer, I live in New Jersey. I've never been on a road trip before, but I'm a pretty well-seasoned traveller. Unfortunately, none of those places i've travelled include anywhere in between Colorado and New Jersey besides Chicago, really. I've done my share of long drives, but never a true road trip.

I would like to drive along some of the Appalachian Trail route to Route 50 or maybe link up with Route 66. This will be a 6-8 day drive. But I have no idea where to start in terms of places to visit, or places to stay. I want to keep a very limited accommodations budget. Having places to set up a tent and sleep, or one or two very very cheap motels are okay.

Basically, if anyone can give me any advice on the best way to make the drive out.

Default One Out of Three?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The Appalachian Trail is a hiking trail along (very roughly) the spine of the Appalachian Mountains. It is a footpath, not a road. And Route 66 was decommissioned about 25 years ago after it was essentially replaced by three Interstates: I-55. I-44. and I-40. So again, not drivable. and even when it did exist it went from Chicago to Oklahoma, not Colorado. US-50 exists, but goes from St. Louis through Kansas City and across southern Kansas and Colorado (through Pueblo). So the question isn't (yet) which roads, but where are you headed and why are you going through Chicago? "Colorado" is too big a target to be useful for giving you advice, and Chicago is not really on the way from "New Jersey" in any event. That is, we have questions for you, rather than answers. Besides your jump off point and destination... How much time do you have for the drive? What are your interests? Is your transportation reliable or do you need to stick to well traveled roads? Stuff like that will all be useful in determining what is "best" for you.

AZBuck

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The Appalachian Trail is a hiking trail along (very roughly) the spine of the Appalachian Mountains. It is a footpath, not a road.
    I'm aware, I was under the impression that there were roads that ran along it.

And Route 66 was decommissioned about 25 years ago after it was essentially replaced by three Interstates: I-55. I-44. and I-40. So again, not drivable.
    You mean to tell me no one has driven on route 66 in 25 years? It is impossible to drive on? Also, I'm aware it doesn't lead to Colorado directly, but I can drive on it for a time and change roads to get to where I need.

US-50 exists, but goes from St. Louis through Kansas City and across southern Kansas and Colorado (through Pueblo).
    US 50 reaches all the way to the east. It runs through Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. Conceivably, I would take this to St. Louis and then link with Route 66 for fun and adventure.

So the question isn't (yet) which roads, but where are you headed and why are you going through Chicago?
    When did I say this?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrey View Post
    I'm a pretty well-seasoned traveller. Unfortunately, none of those places i've travelled include anywhere in between Colorado and New Jersey besides Chicago
    That's all I said about Chicago.

"Colorado" is too big a target to be useful for giving you advice, and Chicago is not really on the way from "New Jersey" in any event.
    Well, that's just not true at all. Taking 80 West to Chicago would be less than 100 miles more than if I drove a straight shot all the way to the Rockies. But that doesn't matter because I'm not going there.

How much time do you have for the drive?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrey View Post
    This will be a 6-8 day drive.
    What are your interests?
    Up for anything, but I'll be backpacking and climbing in CO, I mentioned I had a tent for any campgrounds, but in general I just want to know what the best cities and towns to visit are.

Is your transportation reliable or do you need to stick to well traveled roads?
    The car will be a brand new hatchback, not sure what yet, but it will be able to handle anything that 90% of cars can.

I can get out of New Jersey no problem, that isn't the issue. And once i'm in Colorado it'll be all business taking the roads I need to get to Florissant, that is also not the issue. The issue is I want to have some fun in between.

I'm getting a lot of information from roadtripusa.com, there's misinformation on someone's side it seems.

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Going from N.J. to Colorado, you might want to consider driving the Lincoln Highway part of the way. The Illinois and Iowa stretches are very good trips back into time on America's oldest transcontinental highway.

"US-66" was decommissioned many years ago. The majority of the highway has been paved over by Interstates 55, 44, 40, 15, and 10. The rest of the old roadbed is in varying states of repair and accessibility. NONE of it is "US-66" any more, but you will see signs for "Historic 66". It can take quite a bit of sleuthing to follow it.

Default A quick shout-out to RoadDog!

Hey Don,

Very nice to see you back on the Forum. I hope all is going well with you?

Skyline Drive, through Shenandoah National Park, parallels I-81. The Appalachian Trail criss-crosses the highway about 11 times (or thereabouts) in that 105 miles. You can get out and hike down the Appalachian for a short time at several points, because there is parking. My husband and I walked down a VERY short piece of it last summer, just for fun. (We've done a longer stretch of the Pacific Crest Trail, probably 20 or 30 miles of it over the years. However, we no longer backpack.)

To follow Rt 66, you'd have to travel I-55 south out of Chicago, then hit I-40 west. If you are going to Colorado, you'd have to go out of your way some to take I-40, as its I-70 that goes through CO.

Cheap lodging digs would be to find a state or national forest campground along your route, or find good coupon deals on motels by picking up coupon books at rest areas, state welcome centers, or truck stops.

I'm not sure what your later comment about RoadTripUSA meant, but this is RoadTripAmerica....not the former.

Donna

Default Asked and Answered -- Time to hit the road

I think you may have already received all of the information you're likely to get from these RoadTrip Enthusiasts.

If you're able to find alternative advice, (that you like better) on another site, we suggest you spend your time there.

We wish you the best on your upcoming road trip, and I'll close this thread now.

Mark