1. Default Family road trip - Vegas to Denver (two weeks+)

My family is hoping to do a two week trip this July. Flying to Vegas (from KY0 then drive to Denver taking in as much as possible along the way and back (we've never been to this part of the country). We want to visit the Grand Canyon (trying to decide on North or South rim) and Four Corners and the surrounding areas (and the Eagles fan in me would love to go to Winslow, Az for a fun photo op). We'd also like to try and see Pikes Peak - if that's doable on the way to Denver (going to see a couple of Reds/Rockies baseball games while there).

I am looking for suggestions on must see attractions in the area - looking to make it to Denver in the middle of the two weeks so I'm looking for things to do on the way to and from.

I'm so excited to have found this site - I've learned so much already (but I'm a bit overwhelmed!)

Tucson, AZ

Default With Only Four Days of Driving

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You can make a very nice loop drive including all the places you've listed (and several more) with about four days worth of driving, leaving you ten days of time to spread among all the places you'll be driving to. The route would go something like this. The drive from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon (South Rim) takes about a half day including crossing the Colorado River at Hoover Dam (worth a stop). You could also perhaps add in a drive along one of the longest remaining stretches of old Route 66 from Kingman to Seligman through Peach Springs. The South Rim is by far the easiest to get to, and has the most view points and tourist services. Besides it's on your way, so that's where you should go. Leaving through the East Entrance, you would take US-89/US-160 up through Monument Valley and past Four Corners and Mesa Verde National Park to Durango. From there US-550 north, the Million dollar Highway will take you up to Montrose where you'd get on US-50 east through the Black Canyon of the Gunnison to Poncha Springs. Next up, US-295/US-24 to Pikes Peak and Colorado Springs then north via I-25 to Denver.

For the drive back to Las Vegas, take I-70 west across the Rockies, possibly using US-6 over Loveland Pass rather than driving under the mountains through the Eisenhower Tunnel. Just after entering Utah, take UT-128 down to Arches National Park, then use US-191 to return to I-70 and I-15 back to Las Vegas with a small side trip to Zion National Park.

Besides those majore stops, there are a number of smaller barks and recreqation areas along that route, or you could easily add more stops by only slightly modifying it. But that should give you a rough idea of a route that will take you to Denver and back through some very scenich countryside.