1. Default North American west coast road trip.

I'm planning a rv road trip from Vancouver to new Orleans via Seattle, San fran, Vegas with a workmate (leaving the wives in oz). Can anyone provide some interesting locations attractions. Happy to detour off the main roads. Got a month to do the trip in Oct / Nov. so no rush to get to New Orleans. Any advice would be appreciated. More interested in guy stuff than pretty views.

A month is a ton of time for this trip, and Oct/Nov can be a great time to travel.

I will say it will be difficult and/or very expensive to rent an RV or any vehicle in Canada and try to return it in the US. You'd likely be much better off renting it in Seattle. You're still going to have a significant one way drop fee, but its going to leave you with a lot more options.

My question is what is your definition of "guy stuff?" Visiting scenic places and exploring national parks is very much the backbone of my roadtrips with the guys, but I get the impression that you are looking for something else. I will say that if you are looking to spend a lot of your time inside cities, then traveling via RV will likely be more of a bother than a help.

Didn't I see in another thread that it's difficult to return a RV rented elsewhere in New Orleans?

Good point GLC, I'd forgotten about that.

None of the major rv rental chains have locations in NOLA. Houston is really the closest option.

Default Costly too !

The RV is most at home among the 'pretty views' out in nature than it is around the City and is slower and more to handle on the smaller roads. Don't get me wrong, it's my favourite way to travel , but as Michael pointed out earlier, it might not best suit you for this trip, especially as you are leaving the wives in oz. With just the two of you it will be a far more expensive trip than if you had a car and shared a Motel room. City RV resorts can be just as costly as a cheap Motel room and on top of the higher rental fees you have to consider other costs such as fuel, where a typical RV will be lucky to return 10mpg.

6. Default

We have a syndicate of firies over here in OZ that own the RV - timeshare on wheels, one way rentals is not an issue with us. The next guy who flies in picks it up from where I leave it.

7. Default

Guy stuff was probably not the best term to use. I'm married and have two daughters and all three have no interests in the outdoors or sports. They just tend to refer to my interests as guy stuff, even though I realise a lot of ladies enjoy these activities. I want to take the opportunity to do some freshwater fishing in Oregon or Washington State for salmon? or trout and be able to park the RV within a short walk to the river. Or going to the Boeing factory near Seattle. Or checking out Mt. St Helens (or what's left of it) and doing some day hikes. Also a big sports fan so would love to see some professional sports along my travels, don't know whats on that time of year (NFL?) or NBA. Plus any interesting places to visit and tourist attractions. Happy to get of the major interstates to travel to these locations. Any links to sites covering the pacific north-west or events that would be occurring that time of year (Oct.-Nov.) in that area, would be appreciated.

Fall is certainly Football season in the US. NFL you'd have options in Seattle, San Francisco/Oakland, San Diego, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, and New Orleans, with games mostly being on Sundays. You might also look at College Football (Saturdays) which can often be an even more interesting experience in person. Oregon, USC (Los Angeles Coliseum), Texas, and Louisiana State would be some of the top tier teams along the way.

Baseball would be in the playoffs, and the NBA and NHL (Hockey) would just be starting their seasons.