Default summer family road trip in colorado?

kids ages 12-4, need ideas for a fun family road trip this summer from denver? telluride? durango? montana? north dakota? suggestions please! approx for a week

Default Two Stand Out

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There are a number of great destinations within an easy day's drive of Denver, but two are particularly appealing to the grandfather in me when I think about entertaining youngsters. The first is the Four Corners area. You could make your base in Durango and make day trips to Mesa Verde, Canyonlands, Canyon de Chelly, Monument Valley, Arches, the Black Canyon of the Gunnison and Canyons of the Ancients (all national parks or monuments) as well as enjoy the Durango-Silverton Railroad, a tour through a gold mine, and mountain biking and bungee jumping at the Durango Mountain Resort (formerly the Purgatory ski area).

The other destination that has a lot of variety to offer is southwestern South Dakota with, say, Rapid City as your base and including the Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Jewel and Wind Caves, Thunder Basin National Grasslands, and Devils Tower (again, all national lands) along with the Crazy Horse Memorial and plenty of family oriented commercial attractions which have sprung up to cater to visiting tourists.

A third destination that is within reach (a day's drive) and which is a self-contained week-long adventure is Yellowstone National Park.

AZBuck

Default To start.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

With thousands of possibilties that would take a life time to explore you haven't really given us a lot to go on. What I would suggest is that you spend a little time digging around the forums with a good map to hand and see what it is that appeals to you and your family. Once you have some dots on the map and decided where to start from we can certainly help fill in the blanks and make meaningful suggestions.

With one week available you will have to pick and choose carefully but you might get a few ideas from our Four corners trip out of Denver. What we like might not appeal to you so it is a case of doing that research and when doing so, include the Kids, it will make for a more enjoyable adventure for all of you.

It's not to often someone mentions North Dakota as a possible destination - usually if it's mentioned it's, "That's one state I've never been to." However it is actually a pretty neat state. The badlands around Theodore Roosevelt National Park are, at least in my opinion, prettier than the more famous Badlands of South Dakota. Although not as extensive, they are much more colorful and pleasing to the eye. There's also a chance you'll see some wild horses and buffalo in the area.

Right near the National Park, Medora is a neat little town. Their claim to fame is the Medora Musical, an outdoor production that is great fun.

Have A Great Trip!!

I'll admit I haven't been to North Dakota so have no info to share. You could easily spend a week in either Colorado or Montana/Wyoming area and have a very nice family vacation. I found it helpful to consider my kids' interests and then give them some specific choices for activities. This made them much happier on trips and gave them increasing experience in planning trips.