1. Default Chicago to Las Vegas and best way Northwest

I need help. Leaving early June with my dog (25LB) from Chicago and driving to Las Vegas and dropping a friend off. I then have 12 days to road around and back to Chicago. Love to drive. I would like to see Oregon Coast, Seattle and I guess back down 90 through Badlands.
    Anyone have a good route and itinerary. What should i really see that my pooch would enjoy too. Thanks in advance.

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

There are SO many routes, and it's YOUR road trip. So ... why not sit down with a good USA map (or atlas) and see what strikes you as something you'd like to see? Bear in mind that 12 days isn't a LOT -- Chicago to Las Vegas means 3 long days of driving (10-12 hours a day), or 4 shorter ones, via the fastest route. (That would be I-55 south to I-70, to Utah on I-70 and then south to Las Vegas.) Since you are planning to return, you'll have to allow at least 4 days for return. From there, you have a little "play" time.

Your dog sounds like a lightweight. (smile) We used to travel with a 115 lb mixed breed. We were in an RV at the time, and the only thing RV park owners said was "clean up after her."

3. Default chicago to reno and then I need help

My final plans are set- Leaving Chicago and dropping a friend off in Reno. I then have my dog and myself to for 12 days to see the Noerthwest and back to Chicago.
    Any suggestions-should I skip California and head to Oregon Coast- most scenic route- coast from Gold Beach, then I thought some coast drive then cut over to Portland, then Seattle and San Juan Islands and then back down 90.
    Any thoughts or itinerary

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Lots of tips and routes here

Here are a few routes for you to consider, (scroll down the list)

And a few more trip ideas posted by members....