Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Los Angeles to Roswell, NM. Places to stop w/ kids along the way? Advice on routes to

End of this month we are traveling from Los Angeles to Roswell. We are taking the 15 to 40 to 285 so our 1/2 way point will be Flagstaff.

We are planning on staying 2 nights in Flagstaff overnight........ once on 5/22 and then again on 5/27 when we are coming home.

We have 2 kids ages 12 and 5 who will need to get out and run every couple hours. I'd like to map out fun places to make short stops that are along the highway... and fun places to eat. We cant drive out of our way to see anything, it has to be in our route, no detouring unfortunately ....... what are some specific suggestions? We have never traveled this way before.

Thanks

Also for anyone who knows these travels well..... any input on the route would be helpful. Traveling through Flagstaff vs. Phoenix route. Thanks sooo much!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

It would really be helpful to know why your route has to be so rigid?

You can't drive out of your way? You can't take any detours? Why not?

I-10 is actually about 30 miles shorter than going via I-40, but why not go one way one direction and come back the other way? (Tucson would be the halfway point via I-10).

I guess the other big question is what is the point of this trip? What's your reason for heading to Roswell? There are lots of things along both possible routes to stop and see, and just a couple of short detours opens up those possibilities even more. But if you're just trying to race there and back with the fewest possible stops to run around, that changes things too.

Default Every Couple of Hours - Both Ways

Finding good places to stop every 2-3 hours is usually not a problem on a RoadTrip, and yours is no exception. Just in case you follow Michael's advice to take different routes out and back, here are just some of the possibilities:

I-40/US-285
    Ludlow, CA: ghost town
    Kingman, AZ: Locomotive Park - (310 W. Beale & 1st Street)
    Flagstaff, AZ: Lowell Observatory
    Petrified Forest National Park
    Albuquerque: Petroglyph National Monument

US-70/I-10
    White Sands National Monument
    Lordsburg, NM: Steins ghost town
    Tucson: Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
    Phoenix: South Mountain Park
    Joshua Tree National Park: Cottonwood Visitor Center

AZBuck

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

It would really be helpful to know why your route has to be so rigid?

You can't drive out of your way? You can't take any detours? Why not?

I-10 is actually about 30 miles shorter than going via I-40, but why not go one way one direction and come back the other way? (Tucson would be the halfway point via I-10).

I guess the other big question is what is the point of this trip? What's your reason for heading to Roswell? There are lots of things along both possible routes to stop and see, and just a couple of short detours opens up those possibilities even more. But if you're just trying to race there and back with the fewest possible stops to run around, that changes things too.
    We are going to graduation ceremonies in Roswell. The driver doesn't want to drive any further then we have to. His rules, not mine. So we need to map out things to do along our driving route. Thanks

5. Default

In addition to the list for I-40 above -- Meteor Crater is a few minutes off I40. If it's snack or meal time, parts of Winslow retain some Route 66 ambiance. Dairy Queen is not unique but we always seem to stop at the one in Gallup (junction of I-40 and NM 666 towards Shiprock) and hope it's still there.

Default Best driving route for Los Angeles to Roswell, NM????

Okay... I need to know why one route is better then another one. We are traveling the end of May.

Route #1 is: I-15 to I-40 to US-285 showing 14 hrs 13 mins / 973.69 miles

Route #2 is: I-10 to I-70 showing 14 hrs 36 mins / 938.30 miles

Route #3 is a bit more complicated but a lot less miles then route #1.... I-10 to AZ-202 to AZ-87 to AZ-260 to US-60 to US-85 to I-25 to US-380 to US-70

I need the best route for the least amount of any kind of mountain driving. We are traveling with 2 kids who will also need frequent kid friendly (fun) stops. I was planning route #1 but I really wanted to get more opinions from seasoned travelers of these routes. Thanks so much!

Moderator Note: Please don't create multiple threads about the same trip.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 05-08-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Merged Threads

As was previously mentioned, the first two routes both have quite a few things you could do. They are both primarily interstate routes, so you won't have too much difference in travel time and mountains won't be much of an issue. I'd again recommend you take one route one way and the the other route for your return trip.

The I-40 option does travel at a higher elevation, especially across northern arizona, but that should really have very little impact on your trip. Your second option would involve US-70, not I-70 (which is in Colorado).

The third route would be a very scenic trip, but you are driving right into the heart of the mountain communities of Central Arizona. It would likely take you significantly longer than either of the interstate routes.

:( I'm sad my 2nd thread got moved. Its really a different question because I really need to get more opinions on what is the better route. Its the same trip but I guess now I have specific questions about why one route is better then another. Anyway thanks for the help :)
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 05-08-2012 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Removed Quote of Entire Previous Post

Creating multiple threads about the same trip is against forum policy for three reasons:

One, it keeps you from getting good advice, because people who only see your new thread don't know the full story from what you've already told others.

Two, its disrespectful to those who have already volunteered their time to provide you answers. That's especially true in a case like this where your "new" question ties in directly to the responses to your previous ones.

Three, it is the very definition of spam - posting the same thing repeatedly hoping to get more of a response. That is simply not a trick that is going to work here.

I meant no disrespect or trickery or spamming (?). Thanks to all who have contributed advice. I didn't realize I had one shot to get my question right. I'm just a Mom who is trying to get the best tips from seasoned travelers to plan a first time road trip that makes the most sense. Again, thank you. :)
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 05-08-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Remove Quote of Entire Previous Post