Default New Orleans - NYC

Hi guys!

We are two swedes who decided to visit each state of the US before we die. We've been to 10 different states and in the summer of 2013 we plan on adding a few more to our list. We thought we might start in New Orleans, LA, spend a few days there and then go north, via Mississippi, to Memphis, TN. After some time there we want to go east through Virginia, Maryland and Delaware. We have friends and family in Pennsylvania, so we know what to do there and we're ending our trip with a few days in NYC.

So, we thought maybe someone here could give us ideas on what to do on the way. Graceland is a must as Elvis is a huge legend in Sweden. We have a few ideas on what to do in New Orleans and Washington DC, but we're searching the internet for interesting things to see or do in the other states.

We plan on spending 4 weeks and approximately $8000 on this trip. We love your country and are interested in pretty much everything about it. Ideas anyone?

Greatfully
    Cat

Welcome to RTA!

If you can make it part of your route, any portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway and/or Shenandoah National Park is very worthwhile -- beautiful drive. Both are in western Virginia. Another thought would be Great Smoky Mountain National Park, also beautiful.

The eastern part of our country is rich in history. There are many civil war and revolutionary war battlefield and historic sites -- Manassas comes to mind as very close to the DC area. Philadelphia is where our country was founded -- Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, the US Mint, and more.

New Orleans has lots of history as well. The oldest continuously run Catholic church in the nation is there, plus the place where the Gadsden Purchase was signed. The French Quarter is full of clubs with great music. I understand there is a beautiful botanical park there as well, though I haven't been. (All this info on NO is from a friend of mine who grew up there. It's on plans for a future trip -- maybe as early as NEXT year.)

While you're budgeting, make sure that you plan for a one way drop-off fee for your rental car. Sometimes you can get that fee lowered or waived, as well as under-age-25 fees (if that applies to you) by using a car hire consolidator in your home country.

Hope this helps -- as your trip planning continues, we welcome questions, so that we can help you make the most of your trip!

Donna

Default Others that Fit Your Bill

Välkomnande! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

In addition to the excellent suggestions that Donna has made, here are a few others that should help you make the most of your trip, given your stated interests and goals. For starters, take your time getting from New Orleans to Memphis. Rather than just driving up I-55 take US-61, the Blues Highway, up to Natchez, a great river town with some ante-bellum plantation homes open for tours, and then get on the Natchez Trace Parkway and follow that up to Tupelo MS and a stop at an Elvis shrine that few get to. You can then take US-78 over to Memphis and Graceland, but while there be sure to also pay a visit to Sun Studio where Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis, AND Carl Perkins AND Johnny Cash all got their starts. And, if you haven't added it to your list of states visited yet, be aware that Arkansas is just across the river. Similarly, with as much time as you have, you can easily add Kentucky, West Virginia and/or North Carolina to this drive without too much effort.

The other place that I think deserves a bit more of your attention than most people give it is Delaware. Back in the seventeenth century, this was known as New Sweden, and while there are only a few remnants of that colony, there are some. In Wilmington, check to see if the Kalmar Nyckel is in port, but even if it's not, make a pilgrimage to Old Swedes Landing in Fort Christina Park, and Old Swedes Church. Just note that it's the landing and the church that are old, not the Swedes.

AZBuck

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Welcome to RTA!

If you can make it part of your route, any portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway and/or Shenandoah National Park is very worthwhile -- beautiful drive. Both are in western Virginia. Another thought would be Great Smoky Mountain National Park, also beautiful.

The eastern part of our country is rich in history. There are many civil war and revolutionary war battlefield and historic sites -- Manassas comes to mind as very close to the DC area. Philadelphia is where our country was founded -- Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, the US Mint, and more.

New Orleans has lots of history as well. The oldest continuously run Catholic church in the nation is there, plus the place where the Gadsden Purchase was signed. The French Quarter is full of clubs with great music. I understand there is a beautiful botanical park there as well, though I haven't been. (All this info on NO is from a friend of mine who grew up there. It's on plans for a future trip -- maybe as early as NEXT year.)

While you're budgeting, make sure that you plan for a one way drop-off fee for your rental car. Sometimes you can get that fee lowered or waived, as well as under-age-25 fees (if that applies to you) by using a car hire consolidator in your home country.

Hope this helps -- as your trip planning continues, we welcome questions, so that we can help you make the most of your trip!

Donna
    Hi Donna, thanks for the welcoming! :-)

We've always rented cars one way on our roadtrips, so that fee is considered in our budget. Though, the fee varies a lot depending on which company you choose. We'll have to look deeper into that.

Your suggestions are very welcome, the national parks will make a definite stop. Philadelphia is a place we've never been to. Thanks for the tip!

///Cat

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Välkomnande! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

In addition to the excellent suggestions that Donna has made, here are a few others that should help you make the most of your trip, given your stated interests and goals. For starters, take your time getting from New Orleans to Memphis. Rather than just driving up I-55 take US-61, the Blues Highway, up to Natchez, a great river town with some ante-bellum plantation homes open for tours, and then get on the Natchez Trace Parkway and follow that up to Tupelo MS and a stop at an Elvis shrine that few get to. You can then take US-78 over to Memphis and Graceland, but while there be sure to also pay a visit to Sun Studio where Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis, AND Carl Perkins AND Johnny Cash all got their starts. And, if you haven't added it to your list of states visited yet, be aware that Arkansas is just across the river. Similarly, with as much time as you have, you can easily add Kentucky, West Virginia and/or North Carolina to this drive without too much effort.

The other place that I think deserves a bit more of your attention than most people give it is Delaware. Back in the seventeenth century, this was known as New Sweden, and while there are only a few remnants of that colony, there are some. In Wilmington, check to see if the Kalmar Nyckel is in port, but even if it's not, make a pilgrimage to Old Swedes Landing in Fort Christina Park, and Old Swedes Church. Just note that it's the landing and the church that are old, not the Swedes.

AZBuck
    Hi Buck! Thanks for the welcoming/välkomnande! :-)

The Sun Studio is definitely on our list now. We were actually thinking of the I-55, but this will have to be reconsidered! We love travelling by car and make unplanned stops every here and there. Do you think three weeks is a enough for the roadtrip? We are spending four weeks, but a few days will be spent i Pennsylvania and New York.

Thanks for the note about Delaware. As swedes I think we would really enjoy seeing all those swedish landmarks. And even if there were old swedes we'd still want to go there. ;-)

///Cat

Default Three Weeks

Seeing as how you'll only have to devote around three days to actual 'in car' time, three weeks should allow for plenty of unplanned stops and serendipitous discoveries. We always want more time on vacation (sigh) but I don't think you have to worry about being rushed on this trip.

AZBuck