1. Default Hudson Valley area to Sarasota FL

I am planning to drive from the Hudson Valley area to Sarasota FL this summer. I want to take my time traveling and enjoy the trip with the kids. I am the only driver, and the kids are 9 & 10.

I was thinking of camping on the overnight stops. Figuring this will take me 4 days each way. This is our 1st time doing anything like this.

I want to see Williamsburg, Charleston, Savannah, Washington DC. Perhaps take the ocean scenic route (15?) down. Maybe Chingoteague region for 1st stop

Perhaps do Washington DC on the way back. I am not sure how to plan it al.

Would love some advice so this can be a great trip. My youngest son passed away this year and we all need a break filled with beauty to make some new happy memories. Thanks :-)
    Last edited by Babyheart; 05-07-2012 at 07:54 AM. Reason: add information

Tucson, AZ

Default Filling Out a Good Basic Plan

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You've already got all the basics for a great RoadTrip: A compelling reason, a good destination, and a desire (and the time) to see as much as possible on the way there and back again. And we'll be happy to help you fill in the details. For starters, here are a couple of itineraries that could serve as starting points for planning your drives. Note that one follows the coast and one follows the Appalachians. US-15 would roughly split the difference and lets you get close to a number of large cities (including Washington) without actually forcing you to drive through any of them.

Your sons are just the right age to get the most our of the Junior Ranger Program, so be sure to check in at the visitors center at any National Park or Monument you stop at such as Colonial National Historical Park, Wright Brothers National Memorial, Fort Raleigh National Historic Site, Cape Hatteras National Seashore, Fort Sumter National Monument, Congaree National Park National Park, Kings Mountain National Military Park, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Shenandoah National Park, the National Mall, the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park, Gettysburg National Military Park, and a host of others.

The best way to proceed at this point is to get a good map/atlas of the eastern United States and start marking the places that you and your family would like to see, and then start stringing them together into as great itinerary. Theer3e are even, somewhat surprisingly, great scenic roads up and down the east coast that you can use instead of the heavily traveled and commercialized Interstates. Again, we'll be happy to help you with all of that as your planning progresses, but the above should be enough to get you all started.

3. Default

Thanks AZBuck! I have the atlas out and plotting some stops.