Default Anaheim Hills, CA to Billings Montana

Currently planning to head north from Anaheim CA to Billings to visit my niece. I am looking to travel in July or August. Currently planning a solo trip and have roughly 2 weeks to spend. Would be interested in seeing historical sites, ect as I am a History Teacher. Any advice on sites, food, lodging would be helpful. I wouldn't be opposed to going through Salt Lake but I would like a little more casual route. Looking to be conservative with my budget as fuel is high. Would like to hit some good eateries along the way if they are their and not be behind the wheel more than 4-5 hours per day as the time I spend in Billings would only be 2-3 days max. Any advice would be helpful.

Welcome!

Can you confirm - this is 2 weeks for a round trip? If so, do you want to sightsee in one direction and "speed run" the other, or do you want the whole trip to be a sightseeing "loop"?

For reference, LA to Billings via fastest route and driving no more than 5 hours a day will take you 4 days.

Default Bypassing Salt Lake City

Hello Cheeto,

Southwestern Utah is the location of the Mountain Meadows Massacre, where a California-bound wagon train of settlers was attacked by local Mormon settlers disguised as Indians. It's a historic site now. By getting off of I-15 at Provo, you can pierce the Wasatch Range going through Provo Canyon. Robert Redford's Sundance Resort complex is tucked into the eastern flank of the Wasatch and offers a number of dining and overnight accomodations. Turning back towards Park City brings you to many more dining and overnight options, and the town is rich in mining history. Turning east on I-80 brings you to Green River, WY, where Expedition Park marks the site where John Wesley Powell shoved off on the 1869 exploration of the Grand Canyon.

Be aware of the dates for the annual motorcycle rally at Sturgis, SD, east of Billings. It's August 6-12 this year and tens of thousands of ridden and trailered bikes will be on the roads in all directions approaching and departing Sturgis.

Foy