Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Toronto to New Orleans and back in 7 days

My gf and I are going to New Orleans for a wedding that takes place on May 20th. We have May 15-21st off so we're going to go by car. I realize it's not much time for a complete road trip, and on the way back we'll just have to drive back fast to Toronto. But where should we stop along the way going to New Orleans? What should we see? Thanks :)

Welcome!

I'm sorry - the return trip is far from realistic or safe. It's 1300 miles and will take you 2 LONG days. You need to get 1 (or preferably) 2 more days off at the end.

The only realistic option is get to Buffalo or another US border city and rent a car for dropoff in New Orleans, then fly back to Toronto. This will give you 5 days for the drive down, which will allow for a nice leisurely sightseeing trip.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Welcome!

I'm sorry - the return trip is far from realistic or safe. It's 1300 miles and will take you 2 LONG days. You need to get 1 (or preferably) 2 more days off at the end.

The only realistic option is get to Buffalo or another US border city and rent a car for dropoff in New Orleans, then fly back to Toronto. This will give you 5 days for the drive down, which will allow for a nice leisurely sightseeing trip.
    I appreciate the concern but the drive should take around 22-30 hours. If we cover 12-15 hours on Sunday, 8-10 hours on Monday, and a few hours on Tuesday morning if necessary then we can make it on time on a very realistic schedule. We can take turns driving as well.

4. Default

Actually, the more I think about it the better it is to just drive straight through to New Orleans, with maybe a 1-day detour to explore only ONE CITY and perhaps a short stop somewhere along the way. Better to spend more time in New Orleans, no?

So my question would be, where along the way do you think I should make a detour and a 1-day stop? Kentucky, Alabama, Ohio, Nashville, Mississipi, or Alabama?

You plan on driving 12 to 15 hours on the same day as a wedding?

You have 5 days to get there, which will allow for a quite leisurely trip. Is your interest cities or nature? If it's strictly cities, I'd recommend you fly both ways and spend ALL your time in NO. It doesn't make sense driving 1300 miles twice without enjoying the trip at least one way.

Default Sorry We Can't Help You

You have been told by one of our most experienced advisors that your plans are unrealistic and unsafe. No one else here is going to tell you anything different, because your plans are unrealistic and unsafe. We are simply not going to aid you in being a hazard to the many other people on the road who are endeavoring to safely complete their own drives. We wish you luck, but since you apparently do not want the advice we will give you, this thread is now closed.

AZBuck

Now that the thread is reopened - exactly when is the wedding? The 20th is Sunday, yet you say you plan on driving 12 to 15 hours on Sunday???

8. Default

Now that the thread is reopened - exactly when is the wedding? The 20th is Sunday, yet you say you plan on driving 12 to 15 hours on Sunday???
    K I made a mistake. I said wedding is on 20th, a Sunday. But then I said I can cover 12 hours of driving on Sunday, 12-15 hours on Monday, and even a few hours on Tuesday. I actually thought the wedding is on a Saturday so could drive back Sunday, Monday, and TUesday morning.

But the wedding is on a Sunday. I can get Monday and Tuesday off, and be back in Toronto by 9am on Wednesday. If you think 2 days + Wednesday morning is not possible, I may even be able to get Wednesday off and be back by Thursday 9am.

So We would leave Wednesday the 16th and be back by next Wednesday the 23rd, maybe Thursday the 24th.

2 days + Wednesday morning is very possible. In fact, if you drive 12+ hours on both Monday and Tuesday, you could probably make it back late Tuesday night if the border crossing delays are not excessive. We normally don't recommend driving 650 miles a day 2 days in a row, but it's not that bad with 2 drivers. Just take quick breaks out of the car every couple of hours and get off the road for light meals. Take the fastest route, which is I-59/I-65/I-71/I-90 to Buffalo. If you can make it to Louisville KY Monday night, you will be able to make it home Tuesday.

Now that this is solved, let's talk about the trip down. You have 4 days to get down there and enjoy NO. How do you want to do it? Perhaps you could take 3 days, getting into NO Friday night - this would allow you a few hours of diversions on each of the 3 days and give you all day Saturday in NO. You have a few route choices besides the one described above for coming back - you may want to get a good map of the US and states you will be driving through and see if there's anything along the possible routes that meets your fancy.

10. Default

2 days + Wednesday morning is very possible. In fact, if you drive 12+ hours on both Monday and Tuesday, you could probably make it back late Tuesday night if the border crossing delays are not excessive. We normally don't recommend driving 650 miles a day 2 days in a row, but it's not that bad with 2 drivers. Just take quick breaks out of the car every couple of hours and get off the road for light meals. Take the fastest route, which is I-59/I-65/I-71/I-90 to Buffalo. If you can make it to Louisville KY Monday night, you will be able to make it home Tuesday.

Now that this is solved, let's talk about the trip down. You have 4 days to get down there and enjoy NO. How do you want to do it? Perhaps you could take 3 days, getting into NO Friday night - this would allow you a few hours of diversions on each of the 3 days and give you all day Saturday in NO. You have a few route choices besides the one described above for coming back - you may want to get a good map of the US and states you will be driving through and see if there's anything along the possible routes that meets your fancy.
    I'd rather jet it down to NO and spend most of my time there; it's New Orleans, for crying out loud. But my gf would rather have us take detours and "explore the South." So we'll either be there by Friday or Saturday. Not much time to take too many detours, so I'm just here asking you guys if you can recommend one, maybe two places to stop by and visit along the way. We're both into food :), sceneries, and parks. Museums too, but not as much.