Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Getting Married, Trip from Memphis to San Diego, Need Advice!

Well, I'm getting married on May 12th in Memphis Tennessee. I couldn't be happier!

However, I'm having a hard time deciding on the route to take going from Memphis to San Diego. We're a young couple (24/23).

Here is my "rough" road trip plan so far.

-Start from Memphis TN
    -Little Rock AR
    -Hot Springs National Park AR (we want the old fashioned bath together)
    -Oklahoma City OK *
    -Amarillo TX
    -Colorado Springs CO
    -Denver CO *
    -Richfield UT *
    -Las Vegas *
    -End in San Diego CA

I have us stopping at a hotel in the above marked cities with an asterisk.

As this is a rough outline, I'd like any advice on the best route or places ya'll recommend for this road trip. Keep in mind, we are a young couple so museums and things of that sort we're not interested in. On the other hand, things like ghost towns, we're definitely interested in! THANK YOU SO MUCH for helping me with this :)

i'm looking forward to seeing what people have to recommend!

Default details

Welcome to the RTA forum!

How much time total do you have for this trip, and will this be a round trip?

The one thing that really stands out off the start is that Denver is quite a long distance out of the way, and at 700 miles, its really too far to do as a one day drive from OK City.

What I think might make more sense is to focus on the 4 corners area, rather than going that far north. You could, for example, head up through Santa Fe, Great Sand Dunes, Durango, Mesa Verde, Monument Valley, and the Grand Canyon, before continuing to Vegas. You could also look at some of the other parks and places in southern Utah, like Zion NP.

That's at least one idea to get you started.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

I have 5 days for this trip. We're leaving on a Monday and I want to get home Friday evening. And it will be a one way trip.

As far as Colorado, it's a requirement per the wife's request. The other requirement is the Hot Spring National Park. Is there a different route that would make more sense?

We just want to avoid the boring Texas/NM desert driving, if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-03-2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: removed unnecessary inline qoute

Another thought -- keep the same route, but go Oklahoma City to Colorado Springs and overnight there. The next day, Colorado Springs to Richfield UT, will be about 575 miles, but that's a little easier than the 700 from OKC to Denver.

BTW, Richfield has a lot of hotels to offer. We often stay at the Quality Inn, because it's a fairly decent place with inside hallways, a pool, a hot tub, and it's nearby to a restaurant, ice cream shop, and Wal-Mart.

Donna

Awesome, OK I've adjusted my roadtrip schematic to show what you just mentioned.

Now, as far as best places to visit, any ideas for a young couple? Just to give you an example, we're most excited about Vegas and the hot spring baths, so we're adventurous and like to have fun and try new things!

I want to have some things lined up to blow my new wife away. I want to show her all the best places along the way. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-03-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: in-line quote not needed here

Just to be clear, the route I suggested did take you to Colorado, it just explores the southern portion of the state, rather than going all the way up to Denver. Adjusting your stopping points as Donna suggested would work, but that still means full driving days with very little time for extra stops.

I'm not sure about the boring driving - that's a function of you, not the road - but no matter which way you go, you're going to be dealing with driving across the plains, be it in Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, or Colorado.

Default Sunset over Grand canyon.

I have to agree with Michael about not heading so far north, especially with ony 5 days available, unless you want to spend most of your Honeymoon days driving that is ! You could take a more direct approach along I40 and spend a day at the Grand canyon with slightly easier days of travel and sight seeing, or perhaps head to Santa Fe and through Monument Valley to the Grand canyon. Colorado offers great driving scenery, but you will see most of it from the car with 4 days of 9-10 hours driving required you won't have tons of time to spare.

As you like the Hot Springs and following on from Michael's list via Great sand dunes, Mesa Verde etc you could stop in Pagosa Springs for a dip in their natural Hot Pools. The difference an extra couple of days would make, any chance ?

I have good news! She agreed to take the shorter path, praise the Lord!

here is my revised road trip plan:

Memphis
    Little Rock
    Oklahoma City
    Amarillo
    Santa Fe
    San Dunes Park
    Pagosa Springs
    Durango
    Monument Valley
    Grand Canyon
    Las Vegas
    San Diego

Alright, what does everyone think of that trip? I did notice that I can go north to Vegas through St. George or I can go on the I-40. What would you recommend?

I think it would give us some more time to explore and not focus on driving. I'm stoked!

Now, for places to see along the way, any big ones I'm missing?

Let's put this in perspective. Memphis to San Diego is over 1800 miles via fastest route, which is 3 full days of just driving. You only have 2 days to play with for detours AND enjoying any attractions.

Adjusting the route to visit the cities/attractions you have indicated is 2300 miles, which considering you will be off the Interstates for a considerable portion, will eat up your 5 days right there with NO time for lingering at all. You need to add a few more days.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. You can do Memphis to San Diego is just over 24 hour period straight. You're forgetting I'm 24 and drive a fast car ;)
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-03-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: removed unnecessary inline quote