1. Default st louis to grand canyon-9 days. suggestions for the route and stops along side

I have one road trip last yr from smokies to rockies. I was supposed to visit G.canyon at the time , but couldn't squeeze it in. I was wondering if some one could suggest a scenic route to drive through from st louis and also any good stop overs where we can spend half a day before hitting the road. Last road trip we mostly took county roads as I wanted to see the small towns and country side. We did not really plan that well as we spent most of our time driving and did not really stop along. We camped most of the time and used rest areas on interstates to nap. I realized latter that these places are not that safe.I am open to any suggestions. Thank you in advance.

South of England.

Default One way trip ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

You will have many route options and will be able to connect numerous highway numbers to get you to places that interest you. With so many options and attractions to consider, it is virtually impossible to make meaningful suggestions until we know more about your interests and it would help to have a few dots on the map to get started.

You also don't make it clear whether it is a one way trip or a return trip, or if the 9 days is purely for travelling out and then have time at the canyon on top of that. If it is a return trip you could make a loop going out through Denver and back along I40/44 which would equate to almost 6 days of driving with time for rest breaks etc. From Denver, I70 is scenic in itself and you could head to Moab UT, home to Arches and Canyonlands NP's and down 191 through Monument Valley to GC. With a one way trip you could look at Lot's of options, Rocky mountain NP, Black canyon, Currecanti Rec area, Colorado National Monument, Mesa Verde NP and visit the mountain towns of Silverton and Ouray on the spectacular 'Million Dollar Highway' [US550] to name a few. Further into Utah are Bryce canyon and Zion NP and south of Denver near Colorado Springs are 'Garden of the Gods' 'Cave of the Winds', Pikes Peak and on it goes !

As you can see there are just so many options so I would suggest you do a little research, get a good map of the USA and sit down for a while and see what appeals. Once you have done so, give us a little more info and then we can help to fill in the blanks and link all those dots together.