1. Default LA - Portland, OR - Boston Motor Home

We plan to leave Irvine May 7th - we want to see large Sequoias on route to Portland, Oregon but otherwise just want to make good time. Leaving Portland for Boston we want to stay North and visit as many of the following states as possible - Rushmore is a must as is Cleveland, Ohio - Montana; Wyoming; South Dakota; Nebraska; Iowa; Illinois; Indiana; Kentucky and Ohio. We are trying to visit every state in our Motor Home. We are self-contained and stay at Walmarts, Cracker Barrels or where ever. Thanks for your input. Eastwestcoaster

Default Good time. [?]

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I don't actually see a question, so how can we help ? What sort of input are you after ? To make "good time" would suggest the Interstate as much as possible and you could possibly get from Irvine to Portland in 2 days by doing so. To see large Sequoia trees you could head into Sequoia NP, or Yosemite NP. If I had the time I would do both ! Your other option would be to visit some Redwoods which look similar [normally taller and thinner] but are found nearer to the coast. You could visit many places along the way, such as Crater Lake. It's a case of how much of a good time you want along the way, yet still be able to match what you consider to be, making good time.

It's not clear whether you want to "make good time" between Portland and Boston as well, but there are many choices to consider including Columbia river gorge, Yellowstone and the Tetons, Black Hills, Wind cave NP, Custer State park Badlands and much more.

3. Default

Hi Southwest Dave - I am not in a hurry. My goal is to get to NH by May 25th. Yes, we want to see as much as possible going from Portland, Or to Rye, NH. I have lived in Southern California for many years and have driven to Portland a couple times seeing lots of places along the way. I have been to the Columbia River Gorge which is beautiful. My son lives in Portland. I would like to see Yellowstone, the Tetons, Black Hills, etc., if the route moves me generally East. I spend half of the year in NH. My questions are as follows: 1) Please suggest a route from Irvine, CA to Portland, OR with sidetrips to Sequoia National Park and Yosemite National Park. I would consider any other sites along the way as well. 2) Please suggest a route from Portland, OR to Rye, NH that includes as many state parks and other sites as possible as well. I will be in a 23' motor home pulling a small U-Haul. I want to visit as many states as possible going East. All input welcome!!! Thank you kindly.

If you take I-90 and want a few "side trips", you could "side trip" up to Glacier NP in Montana first. Then in South Dakota, there's loads -- Wind Cave NP, Badlands NP, Mount Rushmore, Custer State Park, Teddy Roosevelt NP, and more. Head down to I-80 and see Amish country in Iowa in the Amana Villages. Head down to I-70 and stop in Dayton for the Wright Bros history stuff and the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson, then a little south in Pennsylvania for Gettysburg National Historic Park. Head back north to New Hampshire by any means.

Staying in Wal-Mart parking lots....check around before you pull in and drop into your bed. Many municipalities have outlawed RV's in shopping center parking lots, and there is usually signage telling you that. Check inside, too, and make sure you patronize the store. Truck stops are usually better about overnights in their parking lot. Get permission. Some have special parking areas for RV's, others don't care much about RV's in their lots overnight at all. As for Cracker Barrels -- better check with them. Same problem as Wal-Mart, with the municipality, as well as space issues. If you are a member of Lions Club, Moose, or similar, check with your membership person as some clubs have space (some with hookups) for members to pull in overnight. If you are active duty or retired military, there are FamCamps (though it's been our experience that those fill up quickly).

Donna

You won't be able to take the Generals Highway through Sequoia - it has a 22 foot length restriction. The only thing you can do is take 180 in from Fresno to Kings Canyon, which won't give you your "big tree fix". With that in mind, visit the Mariposa Grove in Yosemite.

Take whatever's easiest from Irvine to Fresno, then take CA-41 to Yosemite, the Mariposa Grove is just inside the south entrance. If you want to head through LA, take I-5 to CA-99. If you would rather go over to I-15, take that to US-395 to CA-58 to CA-99.

Fastest way to Portland from Yosemite Village is take CA-120 out of the park to J-9 to I-5. If you go back out the south entrance without visiting the other parts of the park, take 41 to Oakhurst, then CA-49 to Mariposa, CA-140 to Merced, CA-99 to Stockton, then CA-4 to I-5.

Default Sequoia NP

You won't be able to take the Generals Highway through Sequoia - it has a 22 foot length restriction. The only thing you can do is take 180 in from Fresno to Kings Canyon, which won't give you your "big tree fix".
    You CAN drive south on the Generals Highway through Sequoia to the 'Giants Forest' and get a big tree fix. It's the section when entering Sequoia NP through Three Rivers from Hospital Rock to the Giants Forest that has the 22ft restriction. You won't be able to drive through, but you can visit the big trees in Sequoia, by heading in and out via the Kings Canyon entrance.

It's always worth checking the NPS sites for the latest updates, as things can change.

7. Default

Thank you all - Dave what is NPS? Thank you kindly.

Quote Originally Posted by eastwestcoaster View Post
    Thank you all - Dave what is NPS? Thank you kindly.
    National Parks Service.

Lifey

There is conflicting info on the site. The page I saw said the restriction was from Foothills to Lodgepole, which is most of the length!

Now I see a page that says it's between Hospital Rock and the Giant Forest Museum.