Default E-Z Pass or Fast Pass

I live on the West Coast. Many of our freeways have "Fast Pass" lane available. Since we do not normally commute down a freeway during the "rush hour", we have never researched these. With an East Coast trip, I find that a lot of freeways offer "E-Z Pass". We are going to be in many states that use one of those, we may not try to Shun-Pike this year completely (like we did last year). So....how does a West Coast-er go about getting an E-Z Pass transponder? Or should we even worry about it?

I put this into a separate thread because it seems to be information that may be handy for a lot of people.

Donna

EZ-Pass is an electronic transponder used to pay tolls. It is typically cheaper than paying cash, and you can order one online before your trip. BTW, it looks like in CA it defaults to sending you to Illinois, which I guess is the closest state (their I-Pass is compatible with EZ-Pass).

However, if you are skipping the tollways, then it wouldn't serve really any purpose.

Donna, my first experience with a transponder on the east coast was last trip. I got a Fast Lane. The first time I was in another area, and I was not sure if it would work, I went through the cash booth, and asked. He said he had already heard it go off. That was in the north eastern States, right up to IL.

It did not work in FL. Maybe it will now.

Lifey

Michael, looking at our route, we're planning to hit: Florida Turnpike, Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, New Jersey Turnpike, probably parts of I-90 in NY and OH, and I-80 in IL for a short period (not to mention some of the toll roads in the Chicago area). That's why I was thinking it might be worthwhile to own one. If they are prepaid, you don't have to pay a monthly fee if you aren't using it, right?

Donna

Your best bet is an Illinois I-Pass. It costs $50 - $10 deposit and $40 preloaded tolls, automatic replenishment in $40 increments via credit/debit card when the balance drops below $10. There is no monthly fee, unlike some EZ-Pass states. It works in all EZ-Pass states. Note that it doesn't work in FL.

Available online, by phone, at IL Tollway service centers, and Jewel supermarkets and Road Ranger gas stations in IL.

I-Pass website

Grr....I guess there are 3 or 4 different transponder systems and there isn't one that works in all 3 or 4????

Back to the drawing board ... either pay where we have to (Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel) or shun-pike.

Donna

Just get the I-Pass. It will be convenient, and in IL the tolls are half the cash tolls when you use it. You will get discounts on some EZ-Pass routes. I still have mine, and I haven't lived in IL for 5 years. With the price of gas, shunpiking will often not only add time, but you can burn more gas than you save by not paying the tolls.

I sat down and actually calculated what we'll spend in tolls on the following roads etc: Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel ($12), I-87 in NY ($5-6), I-90 in NY ($6), NJ Turnpike ($6 each time, but we're only using it once in each direction). It's not worth getting the transponder and paying down on it, for those few times. When I first looked at our proposed route, it seemed like we would be spending a LOT of time on turnpikes. But not so much.

The only place we're really going to "shunpike" is when we cross NY state. It's not so much the turnpike that we're getting away from, but we have NO interest in going through either Rochester or Buffalo, NY! So we'll head south at Syracuse, go through Ithaca and Corning (hope to peek in at the CorningWare place there), over to Bath and towards Jamestown NY (Hmmm....Lucille Ball's home is there, right???) But this is all fodder for the Summer Road trip forum message.

Donna