Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Default I'd like to go cross country, from Philadelphia to south east California

What do you guys think is the best method? We'll be 18 by then, and were considering renting a car and driving the whole way, then taking a plane back from there or New Orleans. We'd go right after our graduation. We wanted to visit places like Las Vegas and all the big tourist towns along the way. There would probably be 4 of us, to 6 maximum.
    We'll have a year to save up, and time isn't a issue as far as how long the trip takes.

Welcome to RTA!

There are many routes, but before we even get to that, the issue of transportation rears its ugly head. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but none of the car rental companies in the US (the big ones, anyway) want to rent to anyone under 21. Then, between 21 and 25, you pay an extra fee PER DAY, PER DRIVER, of about $25, over and above the rental fee. If you're not related, there may be fees on top of that. So if you're looking to rent a car, you might try talking to some of the rental places NOW, to check about that.

Once you get past that hurdle, the next would be to sit down with all of you that are going, with a big US map in front of you. (If anyone in the group has a AAA membership, a map can be obtained at the nearest AAA office for free.) Decide where you really want to go, and be realistic about how much time you want to take. Remember that there will be food to buy and motels or similar to pay for, each day or night that you're out.

When I was 18, I drove a car to college for the first time. Motels raised an eyebrow about a little gal traveling alone, asked my age, and then rented to me BECAUSE I was over 18. If anyone in your group is under 18, there will be problems with hotels and/or in the need of medical care.

Donna

Thanks! Ouch, that rental thing hurts my pockets. Would train or bus be a better option?

Train is more comfortable, but they don't go as many places. Bus goes more places, takes longer, and is probably less expensive. Look into Amtrak (train) and Greyhound (bus).

When my daughter graduated from high school, she and her friends took the Coaster (Amtrak type train) from San Diego up to Anaheim. They went to Disneyland and California Adventure. Since none of them drove yet (most were waiting to get their licenses when they were 18 or 19), one parent took them to the train station and 2 parents picked them up.

Donna

That sounds more reasonable. I'll go for that then. Thank you

Any reason why you can't buy a car?