Thread: GPS Suggestions

1. Default GPS Suggestions

Hi I'm new to Roadtrip America and I must say I'm happy I found this site. I've always loved taking roadtrips no matter how long they may be. Right now though I'm planning a roadtrip for the beginning of August and am in need of a little help. I'm looking to buy a new GPS unit for my car and I don't really know what the latest and greatest GPS's are on the market. I've had my Garmin Nuvi for about 6 years now and it just recently died. My price range is between $100 up to $200, with that I'm sure I can get a pretty nice and really good GPS for that. I've looked on Amazon, NewEgg, BestBuy, and etc reading reviews about GPS's, but just can't seem to decide on one. Any help you all can give me would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I really think it comes down to the features you want most.

I would stick to a Garmin or a Tom Tom. I've got a nuvi as well and if you liked it, that's probably a good place to look again. I personally like the operation of the Garmin better than the Tom Tom or what I've seen from Magellan, but they will also work just fine.

Otherwise, personally, I'd look for one with lifetime map updates, since they often cost as much as the unit itself. Also make sure it includes the maps you need (some only include US, some include all of North America). There are other features and sizes, but really, those are all things you'll have to decide what you think would work best for you.

Welcome!

I second the notion that if you liked your old Garmin Nuvi, you should stick with it. It will probably get you past a learning curve a lot faster. We have a Nuvi that is several years old, and thought we were going to have to replace it. Instead, we gave it a long, long charge and it's held up just fine. We bought our daughter and SIL a Garmin Nuvi with the lifetime map updates, as a Christmas gift, and they LOVE it. Considering the maps for our old Nuvi cost us $50 every time (and they bug you to update every year), the newer Nuvi may be a great deal.

Donna

If you also want traffic alerts, look for a Garmin that ends in "LMT" - that's lifetime maps and traffic updates. Example

If you have an Android smartphone with GPS, it is a usable GPS with Google Maps.

If there is one feature I would not pay extra money for, its Traffic on the nuvi. I have it and have found it to be virtually worthless. Its very good at telling me about traffic problems, after I've been sitting in them for several minutes, or alerting me to "phantom" traffic jams, predicting long backups on roads where there is very light traffic. Its a great feature in theory, and it does work occationally, but I've found it to be far too unreliable to really be useful.

For no traffic and lifetime maps, look for "LM". Example

7. Default

Thank you all for the help. Definitely would like the Lifetime Maps, but not the Traffic Updates. I've read a lot of reviews about the Traffic Updates not being that great. So I think I'm going to get the Garmin Nuvi 40LM. Thank you again for the help.