Default Indianapolis to Washington DC - with kids

We are planning a trip from Indianapolis to DC early July - we will be with 5 kids at ages of 12 / 9 / 9 / 6 / 2
    Any good suggestions on what to do on the way to DC and in DC itself.

Thank you so much

Default I Hope You Have Time

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

At around 600 miles, this trip is just over the edge of what I think you should be trying to do in a day with 5 kids in the car. If a single day was the timeframe you were looking at, then all you'd have time for would be to stuff the kids in the car, let them out on occassion to feed and water them (briiefly) and get right back on the road. You'd have absolutely no time to do anything of interest on the road. Once you extend your drive time to a couple of days, things really start to open up. Besides the "ususal roadside stops" where the kids can let off some steam and see a few (free!) things of interest, there are some major stops that might appeal to them. Any older boys in the group would lovee a visit to the U.S. Air Force Museum outside Dayton. The entire family might enjoy a visit to Dayton Aviation National Park (be sure to sign them up for the Junior Ranger Program and/or the [url=http://www.nps.gov/daav/forkids/index.htm]NatureQuest Program{/url]. I'd also suggest that you look into leaving the Interstates for a bit and take US-40 from Washington PA down to Grantsville MD. This is the old National Road and a visit to Fort Necessity where then Colonel Washington saw some of his first military action would be in order (and another Junior Ranger badge can be earned). There are a couple more historic sites as you work your way into DC including Fort Frederick and the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal. You can spread those sites out over the drive to Washington and the return drive home.

In DC itself, there are more museums along the National Mall than you can shalke a stick at, and most of them are free. When I've taken some of my nephews and nieces there, their favorites places were the slightly out-of-the-way venues like the Jefferson Memorial and Rock Creek Park. If the city starts to lose its allure, consider heading over to either Annapolis and/or the Eastern Shore of Maryland for a change of pace.

AZBuck