Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thanks for the clarification Dave. Last year when we were in Mt. Ranier, we had to take a National Forest Road because of a bridge closure on the main road through the park. It was a very nasty road and had it been 242 miles long, it might have taken 16 hours! As a result, I work a little harder at seeing what kind of road I'm heading down.

As a result of the help I've gotten here, I've just about reached a final decision to go to the Festival in Victorville.

Mark - Thanks for the info on Devil's Postpile and the Bristlecone Forest. I enjoyed your article on Bristlecone.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-24-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: in-line quote not needed here

Default Highs and lows.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie H View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Dave. Last year when we were in Mt. Ranier, we had to take a National Forest Road because of a bridge closure on the main road through the park. It was a very nasty road and had it been 242 miles long, it might have taken 16 hours! As a result, I work a little harder at seeing what kind of road I'm heading down.

As a result of the help I've gotten here, I've just about reached a final decision to go to the Festival in Victorville.
    Yes, it's always worth doing your homework with back roads. We have heard s few horror stories in the past where people have blindly followed their GPS along such roads with disastrous consequences.

We will look forward to a trip report and hopefully some pictures of the Festival etc. [Hint hint] ;-)

Now as you plan to do a few things in and around Lone Pine and assuming you have the time, you might be better off working your itinerary so that you break the journey to Sequoia with a stop around the Lake Isabella/Kernville area to give you a little more time to stop along the way. Otherwise you will need to be 'up' and 'at it' fairly early in the day.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but just to the west of Lone Pine is Mount Whitney that summits at 14,494ft and is the highest point in the lower 48. Just 125 road miles to the east in Death Valley is Badwater basin, the lowest point in the lower 48 at 280 below sea-level. [It'll be a lot easier getting a picture at Badwater !] lol

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post

I'm not sure if you are aware, but just to the west of Lone Pine is Mount Whitney that summits at 14,494ft and is the highest point in the lower 48. Just 125 road miles to the east in Death Valley is Badwater basin, the lowest point in the lower 48 at 280 below sea-level. [It'll be a lot easier getting a picture at Badwater !] lol
    I drove up a road back in the 70's that went to what was called Mt. Whitney Portal. Death Valley is already on the agenda.

If you are interested in Route 66 photos, I've got what I think is a pretty good post called "A Journey Down Route 66 In Pictures." I had previously posted a link to it here but got in hot water for doing so. It's over at Aardvark under "North America - USA." Although it's at Aardvark, it's really a link to my personal photos at Photo Bucket. I do it that way because viewing an albumn on Photo Bucket is a bit tedious. At Aardvark, I can use thumbnails and the viewer can click on the thumbnail if they see something that interests them. I've also got "A Journey Through Utah In Pictures" and "A Journey Down The Pacific Coast In Pictures". Hope I don't get in trouble again for mentioning Aardvark.

Default Yes, one goes through the mountains and one goes around

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie H View Post
    Are we talking about two different routes or are the roads that bad?
    Um, yes. I was thinking you were planning on driving through the Sierra Nevadas and not around them. So, yes, if you take that route, you could probably reach the 100 Giants Trail in about four hours with another 2 hours to Three Rivers.

But since your time is your own... the route I provided above is very, very, cool. Slow-going, but it's paved the entire way. Only a handful of people drive it every day as opposed to the thousands on much of your planned route.

And... actually since you've now made 25 posts and are a "Weekend Wanderer" member, you've earned the right to post external posts.... just keep it to a minimum.

Mark

Re Devil's Postpile: There is the direct in and out walk or a longer loop through meadow and down to Rainbow Falls. To put the hiking in perspective, my boys did most of the loop as 2 year olds and all of it as 3 year olds. There are other short walks within the Monument area.

Thanks for the info CAnative.

We've decided to make the trip and I need some help with the Kings Canyon/Sequoia portion. We will lodge in Three Rivers, CA and do the parks on day trips from there. I'm thinking three or possibly four days will be adequate. We're pretty much limited to seeing what we can see by car and are unable to do any serious hiking. Is three or four days enough?

Default I think so.

I think 3 days would be adequate to enjoy the parks and have a good look around without any major hiking. But hey, if you have 4 days, why not ! If you are still coming down through Yosemite you could stop one night in the Fresno area and head to Kings Canyon, before continuing down the 198 to Three Rivers. It's slightly quicker from Fresno to Cedar Grove than it is Three Rivers and could save one trip of heading south to go north again.

I decided against taking the northern route out and will stick with the Route 66 corridor. We'll head north on US 93 at Kingman, spend a couple of nights in Vegas and then continue on to Beatty, NV, Ridgecrest, CA and then on to Three Rivers via the 100 Giants route you guys suggested.