Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Death Valley, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks

We're planning a trip to Victorville this August to attend the International Route 66 Festival and while in the area, want to visit the three National Parks in the title. Does anyone have any recommendations on places to stay in these three areas? In the Kngs Canyon/Sequoia area, I'd like to find a somewhat centrally located place that would allow us to spend three or four days in the area without moving. Would also welcome any suggestions on how to most efficiently visit Kings Canyon/Sequoia.

Is anyone familiar with Devil's Postpile and, if so, is it worth a visit?

Same question for Manzanar Nat'l Historic Site?

Default Yosemite ?

Hi Charlie.

The best place to set yourself up with lodgings, would be inside Kings canyon/Sequoia NP, budget permitting that is ! Here are the NPS options. Three Rivers is the closest town with lodgings to the South entrance, but I am unsure what options there are other than Fresno to the North. You may find some limited options around Squaw Valley/Orange Cove.

Death Valley will be extremely hot in August !! Furnace Creek [ranch only] and Stovepipe Wells are two lodging options but you might want to consider staying in Lone Pine.

If you had the time you could drive through Sequoia National forest/Monument by heading north from Lake Isabella through Kernville and Johnsondale [which is a lovely drive] where just north of Johnsondale is the 'Trail of 100 giants', a much quieter grove of giant trees.

I haven't visited either of the other two spots. You don't say where you are starting from, [home, flying into Vegas?] or how long you have, but if you end up in the Mammoth Lakes area you could connect Victorville, Death Valley and Sequoia in a loop with Yosemite NP via the Tioga Pass.[CA120]

Thanks for the response. We're leaving from St. Louis but don't really need routing help. We'll be taking the Route 66 corridor one way and possibly both ways. Toying with the idea of going out I-70, US 50 and US 6. If that's what I decide, we would be going down via Tioga Pass to Kings Canyon/Sequoia but Yosemite is not a destination because we've been there several times.

I like your "Trail Of 100 Giants" suggestion - we love the big trees.

Basically I'm just trying to find something to do in the California area to make the trip worth while - 1,800 miles to Victorville is a long way to go for a 2 day festival.

Thanks again.

4. Default

Tioga Pass area is lovely. If you like to hike, there are many nice ones in the area. King's Canyon and Sequoia are also lovely and at a lower elevation.

Devil's Postpile is in the Mammoth area and it is a short walk from the summer shuttle stop so many people hike a loop to Rainbow Falls. Have you visited Mono Lake? Bodie ghost town? Bristle cone pines?

Quote Originally Posted by CAnative View Post

Devil's Postpile is in the Mammoth area and it is a short walk from the summer shuttle stop so many people hike a loop to Rainbow Falls. Have you visited Mono Lake? Bodie ghost town? Bristle cone pines?
    Because of some physical issues, we are definitely not hikers. That being said, is Devil's Post Pile worth the trip? Have done Bodie and Mono. Not sure what Britle Cone Pines is???

Thanks for the response.

Based on the suggestions of Southwest Dave and CAnative, I'm toying with the idea of a route from Lone Pine to Three Rivers via the Trail Of 100 Giants. What kind of roads would I be looking at - gravel, dirt, paved?

Default Got an extra 16 hours in your plan?

How long a time period are looking at?

There is NO direct road from Lone Pine to Three Rivers. The Sherman Pass Road via Kennedy Meadows is a possibility and the road is paved the entire way, but it would take 16+ hours to travel from Lone Pine south on US-395 to Nine Mile Canyon to Kennedy Meadows Road to Sherman Pass Road to Western Divide Highway (County Route SM107) and then on to Redwood Meadow and the Trail of 100 Giants. Then you'd need to retrace back to CA-190 and north to Three Rivers. Actually, 16 hours would be a bare minimum.

Mark

Default The Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie H View Post
    That being said, is Devil's Post Pile worth the trip?
    Absolutely, it's very cool -- Actually, the wildflowers in the meadow would be worth the trip!
    Not sure what Britle Cone Pines is???
    Here is a field report about a White Mountains road trip from Las Vegas and a mention of the the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest.... And a short excerpt...Shortly after the pass, we came to White Mountain Road which provides paved access to the Schulman Grove and Visitor Center at the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest. This road is about 10 miles long and winds its way up the mountain providing awesome viewpoints of the Sierra Nevada eastern slope. There is another dirt road (about 13 miles long) from the visitor center up to Patriarch Grove, where a number of the oldest known living trees live. "Methuselah" a bristlecone (Pinus longaeva) pine tree within walking distance from the visitor center, is estimated to be at least 4,770 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    How long a time period are looking at?

There is NO direct road from Lone Pine to Three Rivers. The Sherman Pass Road via Kennedy Meadows is a possibility and the road is paved the entire way, but it would take 16+ hours to travel from Lone Pine south on US-395 to Nine Mile Canyon to Kennedy Meadows Road to Sherman Pass Road to Western Divide Highway (County Route SM107) and then on to Redwood Meadow and the Trail of 100 Giants. Then you'd need to retrace back to CA-190 and north to Three Rivers. Actually, 16 hours would be a bare minimum.

Mark
    I'm retired - my timeframe is whatever I want it to be - one of the few benefits of being old.

The route I'm looking at on Streets & Trips is south on US 395 from Lone Pine to CA 178 to CA 99 To M50 to CA 107 to CA 190 and then CA 190 to J28 to CA 65 to CA 198 in to Three Rivers - a total of 242 Miles. Are we talking about two different routes or are the roads that bad?

Default That's the way to do it !

Mark is referring to a slightly different route that cuts out Lake Isabella, but is really slow going. The route I would take which is all on paved roads, although slow going through the Sequoia National forest is as follows.

Take the 178 and then turn right onto the Sierra Way to Kernville. and north on the Kern River Highway [M99] and Parker Pass Rd [M50] to the Western Divivde Highway. Actually you have got it, I just think you had a 'typo' when you mentioned CA99, which is M99.

We travelled this route in a 30ft RV so it can't be that bad !! With stops and taking in the scenery, expect the journey to take up most of the day, [if not all of it] but we found it a slow and relaxing drive with stops in Kernville [Cheryls Diner for Pancakes] and a walk through the 'Giants'. As you head up to Exeter you will be driving past all the Lemon/Orange Groves. We really liked the solitude in this less visited area, so don't tell everyone ! ;-)