Default Reno to Phoenix via Yosemite, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon and Sedona

My husband and I are planning our 25th Anniversary trip starting in Reno, NV on June 1. We plan on spending the first night in Reno - second night in Stateline, Nv (via Mt. Rose Highway). Night 3 we have reservations in Yosemite (Curry Village). Night 4 no reservations. Nights 5, 6 and 7 Las Vegas. We will leave Las Vegas on June 8 early in the morning - go to Grand Canyon and spend the night in Sedona. Spend June 9 exploring Sedona and then off to Phoenix for a red eye back to Boston.

Here are my questions:
    1. Getting to Yosemite - I believe the Tioga will be open so we want to arrive in Yosemite from the west and leave via the Tioga.
    2. Is it too much to try and get to Las Vegas after leaving Yosemite via the Tioga or should we plan on staying somewhere in between>
    3. Leaving Las Vegas on the 8th in the am to the Grand Canyon South Rim and then to Sedona - too much?

Tips about renting a car: I planned on an intermediate car (Ford Fusion) Reno to Phoenix - it was going to cost a fortune - my sister said Pick up in Reno - drop off in Vegas - pick up another car in Vegas and on to Phoenix. At first try - Reno to Phoenix it was about $900. With the switch in Vegas got it down to $500 - after further searching I have it under $300!!!!!!!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There is a good chance than Tioga will be open by June 1, since we've had a very mild winter, but its not sure thing. You will have to keep an eye on it. However, since you have to cross the Sierras twice anyway, I'd think about using one of the other passes between Tahoe and Tioga for your trip to Yosemite, just to change it up.

You can get to Vegas from Yosemite in a day, but the problem is that it would be a full day, and if you aren't getting to Yosemite until the day before after driving from Tahoe, that wouldn't leave you much time left in the park. If you are going to spend a second night in Yosemite, then I'd consider it, otherwise, I'd look at some place like Lee Vining or elsewhere on US-395 that's relatively close to the east exit of Tioga.

I'd probably look to spend the night in Flagstaff instead of Sedona. That's already going to make for a quick visit to GC, and you'd almost certainly have to do the scenic drive between Flagstaff and Sedona in the dark otherwise.

Good tip on the car rental deal. Working the system can really save big!

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There is a good chance than Tioga will be open by June 1, since we've had a very mild winter, but its not sure thing. You will have to keep an eye on it. However, since you have to cross the Sierras twice anyway, I'd think about using one of the other passes between Tahoe and Tioga for your trip to Yosemite, just to change it up.

You can get to Vegas from Yosemite in a day, but the problem is that it would be a full day, and if you aren't getting to Yosemite until the day before after driving from Tahoe, that wouldn't leave you much time left in the park. If you are going to spend a second night in Yosemite, then I'd consider it, otherwise, I'd look at some place like Lee Vining or elsewhere on US-395 that's relatively close to the east exit of Tioga.

I'd probably look to spend the night in Flagstaff instead of Sedona. That's already going to make for a quick visit to GC, and you'd almost certainly have to do the scenic drive between Flagstaff and Sedona in the dark otherwise.

Good tip on the car rental deal. Working the system can really save big!
    Michael - taking your advise

Decided to leave Yosemite and stay in Bishop. Then Leave Vegas and see the GC and then stay in Flagstaff! Thanks so much for the advice. We are actually going to go through Death Valley!!!!!!

Default Spot on.

The trip over Tioga and through Death Valley on 190 is pretty amazing, you will have a wonderful time ! If you have enough time in Yosemite try and get up to Glacier point, the view is to die for !! And as you exit Yosemite you will have some nice views of Mono Lake. Near the junction of 120 and 395 is a gas station if you need to fuel up. A few hundred yards past the gas station is a small parking lot with a view of the lake and if you are hungry at that time, inside the gas station is the 'Woah Nellie Deli', a Diner with mighty fine food !

Please drop by and share some of the highlights of your trip with us ! [and pictures!]

Dave.

Near the junction of 120 and 395 is a gas station if you need to fuel up.
    Yes, and it's EXPENSIVE. Try to plan your fuel stops so you don't have to stop there except to go to the deli. It's the Mobil station on 120 just before you get to 395. I'd recommend you fill the tank in Sonora, Jamestown, or Groveland and try to make it to Bishop before refueling again. If necessary there's fuel in Yosemite at Crane Flat, Lee Vining, June Lake, and Mammoth Lakes, but they are all at least 50 cents a gallon higher than in Sonora and Bishop.