Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Bay area CA to Minneapolis MN one way

I am moving to from bay area ca to minneapolis mn this June and want to make it an memorable one way first road trip for the kids ages 8 and 10) without tiring the kids out. I would like to do the trip within one week. Please help me with ideas for routes, fun places to see along the way (both with things to do and places to see) and nice places to stay without killing the budget.

I want to drive and stop enough times along the way so that the kids do not tire out (ages 8 and 10).

Thanks in advance and by the way this site looks like an amazing resource!

Welcome to the RTA forum!

A week will mean you can have a really nice time, without being overly rushed for this trip and you don't need to take the direct route of I-80 to I-35.

I would probably do one of the following two things: Either detour north earlier and go up through Yellowstone, the Black Hills/Mt. Rushmore, and the Badlands; or stay a little bit south going to Yosemite if you haven't been before, the taking US-50 across Nevada (aka the loneliest road) to I-70 making stops around Moab for Arches and Canyonlands and then Rocky Mountain National Park.

But a lot depends upon what you and your family are interested in doing. Are you making this trip in the family car, or in a moving van?

3. Default

Thanks for replying midwest michael:)

I am travelling with the kids in my SUV.
    I have been to Yosemite so would like to try see mount rushmore etc.
    How far out of the way would yellowstone be and are the roads really windy up and down in that neck of the woods?

Default Involve the Kids.

Going via Yellowstone and Badlands etc would not add signifcant miles to your trip, but of course sight seeing and detours can add to time quickly, especially once you wander into parks and off Interstate. With a week to spare you would need to average around 5-6 hours a day in the car, which really isn't that bad when you think a couple of hours [or 3] in the morning, a break, and another 2 or 3 in the afternoon, each split into as many breaks as you want. Some days you could cover more ground and others less, it just depends on how you want to break it up.

I would look at a good map and sit down with the Kids and get them interested in the trip planning. They will have a lot more fun if they have a vested interest in the trip, and in turn means you will too ! Once you have some dots on the map we can help to 'fine tune' your plan. Use the forums and planning tools above [like the Map Centre] to gather info and ideas to help you along.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by travelling View Post
    I am moving to from bay area ca to minneapolis mn this June and want to make it an memorable one way first road trip for the kids ages 8 and 10) without tiring the kids out. I would like to do the trip within one week. Please help me with ideas for routes, fun places to see along the way (both with things to do and places to see) and nice places to stay without killing the budget.

I want to drive and stop enough times along the way so that the kids do not tire out (ages 8 and 10).

Thanks in advance and by the way this site looks like an amazing resource!
    Definitely take in the Black Hills, and thanks to Mount Rushmore, I-90 through South Dakota is chock full of kitschy stuff that may or may not be suitable for your kids. If climbing on large fiberglass animals is appealing to them, you won't be disappointed. When you get into Minnesota, consider hopping off the interstate well before I-35, and angling up to Mankato and taking 169 into the cities. It's a beautiful drive (as long as you're not fighting traffic).

6. Default reno to twin falls to yellowstone v reno to salt lake to yellowstone

Hi,

well the roadtrip is 2 weeks away and I am trying to figure out what is the best route from reno to yellowstone.

My main goal is to have the quickest and easiest commute and not that interested in stopping or sightseeing in saltlake or twinfalls as I am travelling with 2 kids and our goal is to get to ystone and then we have to travel on to minneapolis after a 3 day stop in ystone.

Though it looks like longer from reno to SLC, the road might be better and bigger but may end up being a longer next day commute to ystone however going from reno to twin falls I think the 93 looks shorter geographical distance putting us geographically closer to ystone for the following day but the road may be long and windy with one lane and therefore may actually be not worth it?

Please anyone who has done either way let me know please!

7. Default SF- reno-slc v twinfalls-ystone-cody wy-mount rushmore-sioux falls-MN QQQQQQ!

so our roadtrip to ystone will end with a night at Cody wy after which we will head out next day to Mount Rushmore.

What is the journey time?

Any recommendations on where to stay: I was thinking Rapid city but then think closer to the monument may be better as we will have travelled all day from cody and it would be good to see it in the evening and then early next morning when we head out to Sioux falls.

I am travelling onto MN and was thinking I would break the journey along the way in Sioux falls. Is that too far to travel from Mount Rushmore to Sioux falls or should I stop earlier and if so any recs?

Any other comments or suggestions for my epic first road trip would be greatly appreciated:
    I am travelling with 2 kids (8 and 10) SF oneway to MN in a minivan. The following is breakdown of where we will stay the night on the way.

San Francisco--Reno--salt lake city UT v Twin falls ID--west Ystone-west Ystone--Cody WY--Mount Rushmore--Sioux Falls--Minneapolis.

Let me know if this is doable esp if you have done this trip: any tips will be great. Let me know if the stops are too far apart.

Moderator Note: Please keep all questions about this trip together, instead of creating a new thread for every individual question you have about this trip.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 06-03-2012 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Merged 3 Threads Together

Default Drove US 93 last July

Hello travelling,

We drove US 93 from Wells to Twin Falls to reach I-84 in mid-July 2011. Far from being windy and slow, US 93 is a wide 2-lane highway with a 70 mph speed limit, wide shoulders and many straight stretches for passing. It's quite scenic, too, with the Jarbidge Mountains, reaching +11,000', just off to the west. There are just a handful of miles of Twin Falls' suburban stoplights, etc immediately preceding the totally cool bridge over the Snake River Canyon (where there's a pull-off and a 75 yard path to an observation deck), but aside from that and the 1-mile 45 mph zone at Jackpot, on the NV-ID line, it's clear sailing all the way from "downtown Wells" to I-84.

I would far, far prefer US 93 over the I-215 loop leading to the traffic-jammed commuter route I-15 north from SLC to and beyond Ogden.

Enjoy!

Foy

Default South Dakota

For your trip across South Dakota, I think you could safely play it by ear.

You can easily get from Rapid to Sioux Falls in a day, but for that matter, you could get from Rapid all the way to Minneapolis in a long day.

It really depends upon how much stuff in the Black Hills you want to stop and see. If you just stop to see Mt. Rushmore, you could easily get to Sioux Falls the same day. However, if you also add in stops to places like Jewel or Wind Cave, Custer State Park, or the Badlands, then it might be a bit much.

Cities with the most motel options before Sioux Falls will be Murdo, Chamberlain, and Mitchell. With the exception of early August (Sturgis) it would be unlikely for any of those places to be difficult to find a vacancy.

The fastest way from Reno to Yellowstone is I-80/US-93/I-84/I-86/US-20 to West Yellowstone. This is about 720 miles and too far for one day, you should spend a night in Twin Falls or Pocatello.

Cody to Rapid City is about 400 miles, and this will probably take you about 8 hours.