1. Default Planning 1st ever road trip to the west coast, please help!!

Hello Everyone,

I am completely new to this site and so far have found some great advice but I thought it would be better just to post a thread and hopefully get the specific help I need.

My husband and I are planning a trip to the west coast in June this year, we have not checked flights yet but we are thinking of leaving the uk and flying into San Francisco, LA or Las Vagas (my husband's suggestions) around June 8th or 9th and we need to be back to the uk by June 27th-28th which gives us nearly 3 weeks. We would like to stay on our trip for about 2 and half to 3 weeks and obviously hire a car.

The places which we will would to visit are LA, Las Vagas, San Diego, Yosemite and the Grand Canyon. My geography is rubbish so I am not sure in which order these will be, I would also like to visit a gorgeous beach and also really get into the spirit of america and see the best bits. We are open to any other suggestions but these places we really want to see. I hope you can help me plan our trip and as I said any suggestions, tips and advise you can give would be amazing and very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance guys xx

Tucson, AZ

Default Some Recommended Reading, Then

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

We will, of course, be glad to help you get you oriented. The first things you should check out are the discussions linked to here, while keeping a link open to our handy, dandy mapping routine so that you can see how the various sites relate to each other geographically. Once you've got the basics down, we can be of more concrete help on the specifics of your plan.

South of England.

Default The Loop.

You have a nice amount of time to make this a wonderful trip and perhaps add to your 'wish list' places such as Zion and Bryce canyon in Southern Utah, Monument Valley, Death Valley, Josha Tree NP and some time to explore the Pacific coast Highway [and of course San Fran]. You will find info on all these places using the link Buck gave you above and everytime you open one up, you can scroll down the page and find 'Similar threads' until your hearts content !

I thought I would add that to 'capture' the places you have listed, it usually makes sense to do a 'Loop' trip starting and ending in the same place, without any back tracking involved. In that case, the best place to fly into [LA, LV, SF, SD] would literally be the one that offers the cheapest in combined flight and rental costs.

To give you an idea in which to work from, it could work like this. SF > Coast to LA >SD >Grand canyon south rim [via Joshua Tree NP ?] > Vegas [via Monument Valley, Bryce and Zion ?] > Yosemite [Death Valley] > San Fran.

My best tip would be to organize your hire car early!! Don't get caught like I just have thinking prices will go down. The closer you get to your trip the higher the rates will go. When you find a good online rate you are happy with, book it!!