1. Default NJ to Orlando, FL trip with little kids

Please need advice to keep kids little kids entertained while on a long drive from NJ to Orlando, FL and places that we could stop for few hrs to relax and have fun ?

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

I have to ask, since it comes up from time to time, particularly on this stretch of highway: How many days do you have to make the trip? Are you taking the I-95 corridor the entire distance to Florida?

Keeping kids entertained....this is generic, since you didn't say what age (and "little" is relative).

1) Pack a bag for each containing small toys that they like that can be played with in a car seat. Mine always liked small dolls, My Little Ponies, stuffed animals.

2) Music, Music, Music! In your own area, pack CD's that they like to listen to. It doesn't matter if it's kids music or something that the whole family enjoys. I'd just stay away from the Lullaby CD's, as you don't want to put the driver to sleep! Sing as a family -- something we often did when I grew up. (What was crossing the Oklahoma border without a rousing rendition of "Ohhhhh-kla-homa where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain", or getting close to California without a chorus of "California, here I come, right back where we started from"????) This can be done with/without a CD.

3) Stop in rest areas and let the kids run. Smaller towns often have a city park visible from a highway (assuming you're off I-95) that you can stop and let them play.

4) When you stop for the night, try to pick a place that has a playground and/or a swimming pool.

5) If your kids are old enough, play a highway version of "I Spy" using the ABC's. Someone says, "airport! A!", the next person says "barn! B!" etc etc. Or license plate sightings. My husband and I play an adult version -- we count how many trucks from a given truck-transport company, or count how many trains we see (if traveling near railroad tracks.

6) Once your kids are old enough, teach them to follow a road map. It's an invaluable skill. My daughters both thank me for making them learn that, and for teaching them to use a book called "The Next Exit." (One borrows our copy every time she and her husband travel someplace. They got their own copy once for Christmas.)

Donna

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Tim View Post
    Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

I have to ask, since it comes up from time to time, particularly on this stretch of highway: How many days do you have to make the trip? Are you taking the I-95 corridor the entire distance to Florida?
    2 days on road each way.. n stay @ FL for 5 days(approx) that makes it 9 days in total.. Thinking of taking a 2 few hr stop points one way... Any suggestions are welcome..

5. Default

Thx, Donna.. My little will be 6 and 2 yrs.. Can you suggest good places on I95 where they could have fun n relax that we could take a break on the road?