Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 10 days from LAX to SF - any advice?

Hi there

Love RTA...everyone knows so much!! My daughters and I will be travelling up the coast (Jul 31 - Aug 10). Our hotel budget for each night is $100. Here is our itinerary:

July 31 - LA/Hollywood -3 days (all the touristy stuff)
    Aug 3 - Oxnard
    Aug 4 - Pismo Beach
    Aug 5 - Monterey/Carmel
    Aug 6 - San Franscisco - 3 days (touristy stuff)
    Aug 9 - Bakersfield (to unwind)
    Aug 10 - Ontario Airport (back to Canada)

We are very laid back and want to enjoy the natural beauty of California. All suggestions welcome on what we should see, eat and where to stay. Thank you.

Welcome!

I'd recommend you reverse the direction of your trip - so you are taking the coast highway from SF to LA. This way, the scenic pullouts will be on your side of the road.

Default Three Little Towns

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I think that San Francisco and Los Angeles will take care of themselves, and I don't know much about either Pismo Beach or Oxnard, but I've had some very enjoyable times in the Monterey/Pacific Grove/Carmel area. So here are some of my favorite venues there. The Monterey Aquarium, of course, but also the lesser known docent-led walking tours of historic Old Monterey. I was not so impressed by Cannery Row, but then I'm not a Steinbeck fan. If the timing is right, there's a little woods in Pacific Grove that serves as a stopping point for the Monarch Butterflies on their migration route(s). You can walk the Pebble Beach golf course I believe, but whether you can or not, by all means hike the coastal trails in Point Lobos State Reserve. 17 Mile Drive is a lovely road through some of the most beautiful and exclusive neighborhoods in the region. For that reason, they charge a modest toll for the privilege. It's well worth it. Sam Carlos Borroméo is both a modern functioning parish and one of the missions founded by Father Junipero Serra. Visitors are welcome to both the vistors' center and the museum. the actual church was not open to visitors when I was there, but call ahead if this interests you. There are, of course, several beaches in the area, and the main street of Carmel/Carmel-by-the-Sea (Ocean Ave) is a window shopping delight that leads right down to a city park on the ocean. Not too far south of town is Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park where there is a tall, magnificent waterfall that debouches into the ocean.

AZBuck

I think you would have a better time in Santa Barbara than you would in Oxnard.

Default Alcatraz and Yosemite.

If you are planning a trip to Alcatraz while in San Fran [highly recommended] then I would book Ferry tickets in advance to save waiting in long queues and possible dissapointment. Here is the official booking office site where you do not have to pay agents fees or book other tours to get a ticket.

As you mentioned 'Natural beauty,' in my mind there is nowhere more wonderful than Yosemite NP. If it were I, I would consider taking one less day somewhere from LA to SF and a half day from SF to travel to Yosemite. That would give you 2 nights and one full day [plus a little next morning] to explore this natural wonder before heading to Bakersfield.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I think you would have a better time in Santa Barbara than you would in Oxnard.
    I agree but it the hotels in SB are very expensive so we figured we can spend the night in Oxnard and our days in SB. What do you think?

Orginally we were going to do that but it is much cheaper to fly from Toronto to LAX than to SF. That's okay, though, the girls will enjoy the scenary while I drive.

Thank you all very much for the information. I am now googling all the places everyone suggested. Can't wait to start our adventure!!

Orginally we were going to do that but it is much cheaper to fly from Toronto to LAX than to SF. That's okay, though, the girls will enjoy the scenary while I drive.
    I'm suggesting you do the inland portion of your trip first - from LA to SF - and the coastal portion on the way back from SF to LA.

I would agree with glc - hotfoot it up I-5 to San Francisco and do the PCH southbound on the way back to LA. A side trip to Yosemite would be well worth the time. It is perhaps the most magnificient scenery anywhere in the country.

In Pacific Grove, the Oceanview Blvd/Sunrise Drive scenic drive is very enjoyable and is free.

Not to be missed is Hearst Castle at San Simeon.

When we did the PCH a few years back, we found comparatively reasonable lodging in Ventura which would put you a little closer to Santa Barbara.

Have A Great Trip!!