Default Road trip from Tenessee to texas

Hi, I am picking my son up from college and would like to plan a little sight seeing on the way home. We will be traveling from his school in Houston,Tx and driving back to Sevierville, Tn. It is such a long trip and it would be nice if I could find some somewhere to stop for a day to sight see or attractions near the road where we can stop and look and jump back on the road. I dont know where to begin. We will have 2 days to wander. Also, what would be a good scenic route to drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Two Days Plus?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

It's a solid two day drive from Houston to Sevierville, so I'm going to have to assume that by "Two days to wander" you mean that you have four days for the drive one way. Otherwise, you won't have tome to wander at all from the Interstates. But if you do have those extra two days, then you can have a great scenic and relaxing drive.

Start out by just heading east from Houston into the Creole Nature Trail and enjoy some bayou country. From Baton Rouge, head up the Great River Road (US-61) to Natchez and pick up the Natchez Trace Byway at least as far as Tupelo, MS or Florence, AL. At this point a worthwhile side trip would be to visit Shiloh National Military Park and then enjoy US-64 across southern Tennessee to v and then TN-55/US-70/I-40 onto the Sevierville area.

AZBuck

thank you for the suggestions. I will be driving straight to houston in one day. This will be along day but this would leave me with 3 days for the trip home. Driving on the interstae is so boring and would like a change of scenery.

No wonder you think the interstate is boring - you're driving it while looking at the back of your eyelids!

Seriously, that's nearly a 1000 mile drive, and doing such a trip in one day is very dangerous. Please reconsider. Even if you make it there safely, thinking you'll be in any shape to enjoy the trip back home is just not realistic.

If you think it is boring simply because you are on a freeway, then you need to take a look at your own approach to the trip. RTA's founding idea: There are no boring places.

it is a tough drive now that I am remembering the last trip. I think I will drive part of the way the night before and I liked the atricle.