1. Default Round Trip SF road Trip

Going to be in the Bay area for the first time late this summer. Landing on Thursday night August 30th and probably leaving Saturday the 8th (not sure on the time). The reason for going is a wedding the first weekend in Sonoma Vally, but come Sunday morning my wife and I are on our own to see the sights. I am a big baseball fan and wanted to catch an A's and Giants game and am lucky enough where both will be playing during that week. So, the plan right now is to possibly drive back to Oakland for a Sunday afternoon game (after seeing Sonoma and Napa Vally's as best we can Friday and Saturday) then taking off from Oakland Sunday late afternoon on a road trip that will get us back to S.F. in time to see some of the city and fly out either Saturday or Sunday. Looking for suggestions. Right now we are thinking about heading towards Tahoe/ Reno and see what is along the way there. Being from the relatively boring Midwest I am rather intrigued by the western landscape and was hoping to pass by as many natural sights as possible but am also into the cool rarely known (or well known) man made attractions. Was also entertaining doing something in "gold county" attempting to visit a ghost town or something if anyone knows of anything worth seeing along a nice path.
    In all my research, I have seen a lot of different things to do in Northern California (or Nevada if we head out that way) but obviously with our limited time we can only go in one direction. Any suggestions out that from locals or people who have been there in the past? Also open to suggestions about things to do int he Napa and Sonoma Valleys or neat off the beaten path things to do in S.F.

SF Bay Area

A couple random thoughts; may have some more later.

Not ghost towns, but Old Town Sacramento and Columbia State Historic park (near Sonora, not Sonoma) are gold rush options.

I suspect you're going to love AT&T Park, and hate the Oakland Coliseum, but enjoy the games anyway.

If you like college football (any why do I think what I'm about to say has anything to do with college football?) you may want to note that the Cal Bears are playing the Nevada Wolfpack in Berkeley on September 1, and Southern Utah on September 8th. Stanford may be playing too.... I don't keep track of them.

South of England.

Default One loop.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

One such loop that includes Reno and Lake Tahoe could take you to one of the most wonderful NP's, Yosemite. From San Fran head to Yosemite and then cross the Sierra Nevada on the spectacular Tioga pass [CA120] towards Mono Lake and then north to Tahoe. You could then head through Sacramento to Napa Valley/ Muir woods and back ito San Fran over the Golden Gate bridge. That would mean you could explore the City at the start of your trip and Napa etc towards the end. Alternatively you could use one of the other Sierra passes back west and head to Gold Country, perhaps on CA4 past Calaveras Big tree State park to Murphys and Jamestown [Railtown] and as mentioned above, Columbia State Historic park.

You will find a lot of info with many alternatives by searching through the forums. Once you have decided let us know and we can help to 'fine tune' your trip.