1. Default Michigan to Maine Road Trip

My husband and I are planning a trip to Maine the second week of September.
    We will be leavinig from the Detroit area and would like to go to Bar Harbor, Maine and work our way down the coast
    and back home. Any suggestions/ideas?

Default Depending...

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There's no one-size-fits-all answer to such a request for suggestions, but some basic things that you should be considering include: Are your passports in order? Of so, then I would highly recommend that you cut through Ontario to Niagara Falls rather than fight your way around the south shore of Lake Erie on the Turnpike. If you are interested in the journey rather than simply getting there, I would also recommend that you use US-20 across upstate New York rather than the Thruway. US-20 follows the old Erie Canal and goes through a number of historic and picturesque old cities. You could then head up into the Adirondacks and northern new England. There are a ton of things to do in New England besides just Acadia National Park. And, again if your passports are in order, you could even consider a return route by way of Québec, Montréal and the Thousand Islands areas for something a good bit different

AZBuck

You might consider going to Watertown, NY and then picking up NY 3 through the Adirondacks - it's a beautiful drive. At Lake Saranac, you can pick up NY 86 to Lake Placid and then on to the White Face Mountain Highway. From there, you can find your way to Port Kent, NY and take a ferry across Lake Champaign to Burlington, VT and on to Maine. While in the Burlington area, a great place to visit is Stowe, Vt. The Trapp Family (The Sound Of Music Family) Lodge is located in Stowe and is a beautiful place to visit or stay if price is no object.

Another thing you might enjoy is a boat ride on the Erie Canal at Lockport, NY.

Coming back, you might consider taking The Grand Army Of The Republic Highway (US 6) across northern Pennsylvania.

I would agree with AZBuck's suggestion of the Thousand Islands and you don't need a passport on the New York side. Boldt and Singer Castles are truly amazing.

You're heading for a wonderful part of the country and I'm sure you'll have a great trip

Default Route 6 through PA

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie H View Post
    Coming back, you might consider taking The Grand Army Of The Republic Highway (US 6) across northern Pennsylvania.
    Not so much a route, as a destination in itself. Much, if not most of it is slow going with many attractions along the way. If you are going to really enjoy it, allow ample time.

Lifey

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Not so much a route, as a destination in itself. Much, if not most of it is slow going with many attractions along the way. If you are going to really enjoy it, allow ample time.

Lifey
    Would not disagree with your idea that US 6 is a destination in and of itself. It was for us on our first trip. Have you ever done the Wellsboro Diner? It's a great little 1920's vintage diner made entirely of porcelain and has great food. There is another one in Littleton, NH.

Unfortunately, the Kinzua Viaduct was taken down by a tornado in 2008 and is now in ruins.

If you decide to visit and are a photographer, plan on hitting the Grand Canyon Of Pennsylvania as near to high noon as possible. Because of shadows, it's extremely difficult to photograph if the sun is low in the sky.

Default Diners and a railway bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie H View Post
    Would not disagree with your idea that US 6 is a destination in and of itself. It was for us on our first trip. Have you ever done the Wellsboro Diner? It's a great little 1920's vintage diner made entirely of porcelain and has great food.
    As it was for me, on my first trip. In fact the brochure I picked up in Warren described the route as a destination. No, I have not been to that diner, but it is now on my list, should I find myself in that region again.

Unfortunately, the Kinzua Viaduct was taken down by a tornado in 2008 and is now in ruins.
    In 2001 I chanced upon this tressle bridge. It was on the brochure. It took my breath away. Unfortunately time constraints prevented me from hiking to the base of it or taking a train ride over it. In 2004 I planned to revisit it, only to learn that it had been destroyed by a tornado the previous year (not 2008). I have since revisited the site, and it is still worth a visit. The history of the bridge is still there, along with the pictorial record, and part of it is still standing, to give one a feel of what it was like. You can see the far side across the valley. And even though vegetation now covers much of the structure on the valley floor, it is still possible to get a good idea of the massive structure it was.

Lifey