1. Default CA to PA, tomorrow, Any tips will be appreciated

My cousin and I will be flying into Los Angeles tomorrow morning(Thurs) from Philadelphia. We will be picking up a car, and after a few hours, driving it back to Philadelphia. It will be our first road trip, but we will like to be back by Monday. According to Google Maps, it is about a 2750 mile trip. There are also three routes given, Ca-AZ-NM-TX-OK-MO-IL-IN-OH-PA(shortest),CA-NV-UT-CO-NE-IA-IL-IN-OH-PA, or CA-NV-UT-CO-KS-MO-IL-ID-OH-PA. Which would be better for our time constraints? The driving will be split between us, and we will have a decent budget to work with. Whats a realistic driving time for us per day? Any other tips will be appreciated.

South of England.

Default Pushing boundaries.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

The shortest route is your best option in all honesty and that is pushing the envelope for a multi day trip. [Although nothing much in it timewise] We usually recommend days of no more than 500-600 miles and if you manage to get just over 200 miles done on Thurs, it will leave you four back to back days of approximately 625 miles, roughly 11 hours a day on the road with basic yet regular stops. You need to keep in mind that it is a marathon run and not a sprint. Trying too much too early will leave you burnt out later in the trip, try and space your stops accordingly. Staying to the east of any major City's will mean that you will be heading in the opposite direction of the morning rush traffic heading in to the City.

Have a safe journey !

3. Default

What would be the recommended stops in the route. We were originally planning to drive 700 miles a day, split between the both of us. We will probably leave LA around 4pm and head into vegas. However, I am still debating where to go from there. If I can make it back to PA by Monday afternoon, that would be great, but i can miss one day of school, if its impossible to do.

Joplin MO

Vegas is out of your way. Fastest route is I-15 to I-40 to I-44 to I-70 to the PA Turnpike.

Leaving LA at 4pm? That's rush hour suicide. Get out of there before 2pm or wait till 7pm. Stop when you feel you need to stop, you will never be more than an hour or so from an exit with motels.

I'd wait till 7, then drive to Barstow. Reasonable stops afterwards would be Albuquerque, Tulsa, and Indianapolis or Richmond IN.

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by glc
    I'd wait till 7, then drive to Barstow. Reasonable stops afterwards would be Albuquerque, Tulsa, and Indianapolis or Richmond IN.
    When you get to Albuquerque, rather than getting a hotel at the first exit you come to (Coors Blvd.), I’d recommend going a few more miles east toward the “Midtown” area, just past the I-40 / I-25 interchange. There are some decent hotels there, and one very good restaurant within easy walking distance.

Two hotels you might want to look into are this one, or possibly here.

There are two hotels in this area that I would be sure to avoid: this Motel 6 (lots of problems here) and also here.

Here are directions from I-40 eastbound. Have a safe trip!