Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia

Default New Orleans,Memphis,Nashville ending in Las Vegas

Hi All
    I am new to RTA and need help with planning a road trip for October 2012.We were thinking of flying into New Orleans then road tripping to Memphis,Nashville and not 100% sure from there but have a friend who will be in Vegas in the 3rd week of October so thought we could travel to there.I really need suggestions and help as to places to visit and stay along the way.We are from Australia and have done the Route 66 from Chicago to Vegas and did enjoy alot of the towns along the way so wouldn't mind calling back into some of those places.We're not scared of driving or distances.

Tucson, AZ

Default Quite a Difference

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Doing a little loop from New Orleans through some of the music centers of America (Memphis and Nashville) and back to New Orleans would require roughly 1200 miles of driving, a simple round-trip plane ticket into/out of New Orleans, and only a 'local' car rental in New Orleans, Adding Las Vegas means adding at least another 1200-1500 miles of driving, makes the plane reservations more problematic and expensive, and requires another $200-300 on the car rental for a one-way drop off fee. But if you are comfortable with all those additional expenses and realize the number of miles you're taking on, then I'd suggest the following. From New Orleans, first head up to Natchez and there get on the Natchez Trace Parkway all the way up to Nashville. This is an old historic road and goes by Elvis' birthplace. From Nashville to Memphis, take a look at US-64 as an alternative to I-40 with a stop at Shiloh National Battlefield. Then if you do decide to go on to Las Vegas, look at some other options besides I-40 such as US-70 through the Red River valley and US-60 through the Salt River Canyon on the way.