Default Opinion on Freeze Dry Guy

For those that have done any backpacking or tent camping while on a road trip, have you tried the freeze dried food from this company? Is it any good? A friend of mine told me that there is this contest running right now where they are giving away $250 worth of freeze dried food for free and the manufacturer is this company. I usually do quite a lot of tent camping while on a road trip especially during the summer (cheaper than staying in a motel), so the load of food is really gonna come in handy. I'm quite tempted to join, but would like to first get any opinion about it before joining.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 04-10-2012 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Removed Link - Very questionable post - See PM

Yes, this reads like advertising copy. Please, don't do this again.

Mark

In the event that this was not an ad:

I've tent-camped and backpacked in my younger days. Blech, we did NOT like freeze-dried foods from any company back then. They were used only when we were on the trail, and never for car tent-camping. We were just given some from another company, and they still don't taste yummy.

From a car, you can take a lot of really good food without resorting to "dog food". Sometimes its a little higher in sodium than you might like, but that freeze-dried stuff isn't exactly sodium-free either!

I'd much rather eat nights and nights of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, Chef Boyardee, and canned soups, than freeze-dried foods!

Donna

Default MREs are not bad!

Donna,

You've got to admit that Richmar pudding was a true adventure in dining! I've done a lot of backpacking in my youth.

Today, in my car Go-Kit, I carry sufficient MREs (meals ready to eat) to feed two people for four days. Freeze-dried has come a long ways.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    Donna,

You've got to admit that Richmar pudding was a true adventure in dining! I've done a lot of backpacking in my youth.

Today, in my car Go-Kit, I carry sufficient MREs (meals ready to eat) to feed two people for four days. Freeze-dried has come a long ways.

Mark
    My younger son and his cousins (my nephews), all 3 of them 20-something military veterans, with the nephews being combat veterans, would likely opine that an MRE represents food for an infinite time period inasmuch as they're inedible.

That (jokingly) said, one would assume Rita Chretien, last year's notable "Death by GPS" survivor, would like to have had some MREs on board while marooned in the Jarbidge wilderness area in Nevada.

Foy

Default MREs are better then 1950-era C-Rats

During my time of "duty" with the US Forest Service in the 1970's we were issued C-Rats that were dated with expiration dates in the early 1950's. I usually ate everything and smoked the cigarettes too. Quite funny to see 20+ guys taking a break on an active fire line smoking government-issued cigs!