Default Chicago to Toronto Advice Please

Hi,

We are planning a road trip between 6-9 days the first week in August from Chicago (where we live). In the past we have driven to various spots in Wisconsin, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Kentucky, Asheville/Great Smokey Mountains, Minneapolis, and central IL.

We want to go someplace new and are considering a road trip to Toronto. We (two adults, 33 and 37) have up to 9 days for the road trip. We don't want to drive more than 15 hours to our destination which would fit perfectly for Toronto.

I was thinking it would be nice to be able to drive north through Michigan on the way there and loop through Buffalo and Cleveland on the way back. Are there any suggestions for this road trip or nice things to see along the way? My husband is not impressed with this idea and doesn't think it sounds very nice so I wanted to get some ideas from others.

We enjoy seeing beautiful scenery, wildlife, foodie stops, and visiting cities.

I have searched on similar threads but couldn't find too much information on this route.

Welcome!

First question - do you both have current passports?

Yes, we do! Sorry I did not think to include that info.

Default My Thoughts Exactly

I must confess that when I read any first description of a RoadTrip, I normally just read far enough to get a gist of the basic idea, and then go off and start some mapping routines to work so that they're done once I have a better Idea of the particulars that the requester wants. In your case, as soon as I saw the starting point and destination, the time available, and your list of previous drives, I immediately started the plots going on a loop trip up and over lake Huron and back through Niagara Falls and Ohio/Indiana to home. It seems that you are thinking generally along the same lines. You can, of course do this in either direction, and up/down either the Michigan or Wisconsin shore of lake Michigan to add some 'new' roads to those you've already driven. There are some great sites on this trip such as Holland MI, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, Colonial Michilimackinac State Historical Park, the Soo Locks, Mississagi Delta Nature Reserve, O'Donnell Point Nature Reserve, Niagara Falls, and (if you stay a bit south of the actual Lake Erie lakeshore) the Lucy and Desi Museum, America's first oil well, the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Ohio Amish country, and the Ohio Sports Car Course.. Surely, there's something in there to pique your husband's interest

AZBuck

Thanks for those suggestions of places to see along the way AZBuck!

I will check those suggestions out. We have been to Holland Michigan before since my husband is from Holland so he wanted to check it out but he was not too impressed. Those Dutch are hard to excite.

Default There Are Always Other Options

If your husband has gone up through Michigan and been unimpressed, then consider going up through Wisconsin inst3ead. Doing so would add only about 30 miles to the basic route, and some of the places you and he might enjoy would be the gorgeous art museum in Milwaukee, the museum of the Experimental Aircraft Association in Oshkosh, Harry Houdini's boyhood home in Appleton, Lambeau Field (OK, maybe he might not enjoy that!), and Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.

AZBuck

Thanks for those suggestions as well. We actually do like Wisconsin a lot as I am from there and so that is why we won't do a road trip through there, we go there all the time anyways since I have family in Milwaukee and we have gone to most areas of the state before.

He is also a foodie though and I found some fun markets and restaurants to try out and I think that is starting to tempt him to see the light and he is starting to break and agree to this trip!

8. Default

Being from Michigan I can say that Holland does not have much for sight seeing. That said, the west coast of Michigan is absolutely beautiful. The suggestion for Sleeping Bear Dunes is right on. I think it was recently named by Good Morning America to be the most beautiful spot in America. While I don't think it is #1, I do think it is one of the best kept secrets in America. When you are up that way, you might as well stop by Travers City. The city itself is a nice medium sized resort town, but around it are dozens of wineries within a short drive or even a bike ride. That alone can make for a nice day or weekend, but it is quite a ways up in the Lower Peninsula of Michigan. Oh, if your up that way you might as well swing by Torch Lake. The lake is not worth a trip up north just to see it, but if you are within an hours drive or so, it is worth it (the lake is about 20 miles north east of Travers City). It has been ranked by National Geographic to be the third most beautiful lake in the world due to it's unique color. Another worthy sight is Mackinac Island. I have not been there since I was a kid, but it is a very neat resort town. No cars are allowed on the island and it is known for its fudge. Other than that, the only other thing that I would recommend off the top of my head is the Henry Ford Museum down in Dearborn. That is a world class museum that contains items such as the chair Lincoln was shot in and the car Kennedy was shot in as well as the Roas Parks bus and many other very neat exhibits. Dearborn though is a loooong way from the other attractions I pointed out.
    Michigan for the most part (like Wisconsin) is great for kicking back and taking it easy.