1. Default Las Vegas to Oklahoma City Driving Trip

My husband and I are flying to Las Vegas from Memphis to go on a rafting trip in the Grand Canyon. From Las Vegas we will be driving to Oklahoma City in a rental car to visit friends. My question is I need help planning what to see from Las Vegas to Oklahoma City. We will leave Las Vegas on May 28 and plan to be in Oklahoma City June 1st. I am a little overwhelmed with where to go. I know there is a lot of America between the two places. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tucson, AZ

Default Some Great Stuff

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

As with almost any decent-sized RoadTrip you can make in America, there are a lot of very worthwhile sites either directly on or very near to your route. And with five days available for a drive that could be done in as little as two, you can wander off the straight and narrow (I-40) by quite a bit. So, what's pretty much directly on your route?: Hoover Dam, Petrified For rest National Park, Petroglyph National Monument, and Cadillac Ranch for starters. Not too far off, and well worth the small detour(s); Grand Canyon National Park, Wupatki National Monument, Walnut Canyon National Monument, Santa Fe and the Plaza of the Governors, Lake Meredith National Recreation Area, and the Black Kettle National Grassland. And if you wanted to make a somewhat more involved detour, you could head northeast after the Grand Canyon and go up through Monument Valley and then across southern Colorado by Mesa Verde National Park, then over Wolf Creek Pass and back down past Capulin Volcano National Monument. Those should give you some rough ideas of what's available. Take a look at them and see what appeals. Then decide on a basic route/plan and we can be of a bit more assistance with filling in details and/or finding spots that fill an interest that hasn't yet been satisfied.

Southern California

In the Albuquerque area, there is Petroglyph National Park (or is it monument?), Rio Grande Nature State Park, and a Smithsonian museum about nuclear science (and New Mexico's place in the history thereof). Nearby you can go and see a pueblo, I believe. West of Albuquerque, there are some lava fields and caves.