1. Default East Coast Road Trip

Hi all
    A friend and I have a 12 day road trip planned. We are flying into Boston and flying out of New York, and want to do a loop covering the following: Cape Cod, Maine, Vermont, Niagara, Washington DC and part of the Appalachian Trail around West Virgnia. Is this realistic, and can you give me some pointers on which parts of Main and Vermont to head to please?
    Thanks a lot

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

One state you skipped over was New Hampshire. It's impossible to get from Maine to Vermont without going through there.
    Maine has two distinct "flavors" - the North Woods, which is sparsely populated and very remote, and the Coast (some Mainers say the coast is just relocated folks from Massachusetts). Which interests you more? You'll probably find more to do on the coast. The Appalachian Trail ends at Mount Katahdin, which is in a remote part of the center of the state.

In New Hampshire, one popular spot is the Kancamagus Highway. A drive up I-93 through the White Mountains is always nice.

In Vermont, VT-100 is a nice scenic drive.

Coming into New York State, you could head through the Adirondacks.

After the flatter farmland of New York, Pennsylvania's rolling hills will give you a change of pace.

You could do something like this:
    Boston to Cape Cod
    Cape Cod to Portland, Maine
    Portland to Burlington, Vermont via ME-113 to NH-112 (Kancamagus Highway)
    Burlington to Syracuse, NY
    Syracuse to Niagara Falls, NY
    Niagara Falls to Harpers Ferry, WV
    Harpers Ferry to Washington, DC
    Washington, DC to New York City

This is about 1600 miles in total. New England is a fairly compact place (though living here sometimes it can feel like nearby places are far away sometimes.) This route gives you time in between your stops to meander around and try alternate routes if you wish.

3. Default

Thanks for the pointers. We've looked into White Water Rafting along the New River. Do you think after Harpers Ferry it would be feasible to head over to the New River via Skyline Drive? Or do you know of any other areas which are good for White Water Rafting?