Thread: zion to sf

Default zion to sf

I'm starting to look at ideas for a sept 2013 trip. Its changed a bit from our original and similar to two others trips, namely salt lake to sf via the parks. Now i'm thinking of starting in zion park and ending in sf, but including death valley, yosemite and highway 1 from around morro bay. From what i see is it best to start from vegas going to zion, then back to vegas, dv, yosemite. Is there a beter route from yosemite to morro bay than through fresno? We dont want to do los angeles hence yosemite to mb and up to sf. I dont mind the 5 hour drive here as its probably the longest drive on the trip -we'll split the coast road into a few days.
    Any help would be great, the whole trip will be geared towards hiking half dome, clouds rest and angels landing and a small bit of photography too!! We have around 3 weeks for the trip.

Welcome back - looking forward to seeing more photos!

You don't necessarily HAVE to go through LV to get to DV from Zion - you can cut across NV-573 through North LV to US-95 and go in through Beatty. This is about a 5 to 6 hour drive. If time is not an issue and you want to see some different things, you can go up to Cedar City and take UT-56/NV-319 to US-93, then NV-375 (the E. T. Highway) to US-6 to Tonopah, then US-95 to Beatty. This is about an 8 to 9 hour drive.

The shortest and fastest route from Yosemite to Morro Bay is through Fresno - which shouldn't be a problem, CA-41 is a freeway through the city. You do have to get across the Central Valley somehow. This is in fact about a 5 hour drive.

Thanks glc, glad to see the route has potential, i'll start nailing it down shortly!

Default The loop. [?]

Hi Captain, welcome aboard once more ! ;-)

With 3 weeks available have you considered closing the loop ? You could for example head from Vegas to Zion and to Yosemite via the route given by glc and then continue to San Fran. You would then have the benefit of heading south to Morro Bay with the Ocean on your side of the road, before heading back to Vegas via Death Valley. That would add a days drive, but over 3 weeks would not be a big deal and would create a nice loop.

Dave.

Yes, you can go through Tonopah, stay on US-6 to CA-120 to the Tioga Pass.

To get from Morro Bay to DV, you could take one of a few routes to Bakersfield, then take CA-178 through Lake Isabella to Ridgecrest and in through Trona.

Thanks for the idea of the loop dave. I wont rule it out yet, but the idea of finishing in vegas isnt for us!

Default Sf2sf. [?]

In that case [and if you think the loop will work for you] the simple solution would be to start out from San Fran.

Dave.