1. Default First time trip from Denver

We're planning a round trip from Denver up to Yellowstone at the beginning of September...and I just can't seem to find somewhere of interest to stay between Steamboat and Jackson. Dinosaur could be interesting...but I wonder if anyone else has any ideas?

thanks.

Default Some like it hot...........

Hello sazaroo,

Last summer I drove US 40 from Park City, UT through Vernal, UT and Steamboat Springs, CO, enroute to Granby, CO and RMNP beyond. There's a goodly stretch of high plateau/desert from SS to Vernal. We didn't stop at Dinosaur or Vernal, but they appeared to be dusty, windswept towns without a lot of attractions. Vernal's downtown is kind of old and funky/cool-looking, but we didn't detect much at Dinosaur other than the NP.

You might consider jogging east from SS, over Rabbit Ears Pass, to CO 14, thence north on CO 125 at Walden, crossing into WY where it becomes WY 230, through Encampment, to Saratoga. At Saratoga is the Saratoga Hot Springs Resort. Those seeking less plush and less expensive soaks can enjoy the Hobo Pool in Saratoga, a free to the public soak. From Saratoga it's but 15-18 miles north to I-80 a little east of Rawlins, and from Rawlins US 287 runs a nice, scenic route past the Wind River Range through Lander and Dubois, WY to Moran, just 20 miles north of Jackson, with the Tetons in view from before Moran all the way to Jackson.

I've run the CO-125/WY 230 segment, not stopping at Saratoga, and it's a nice drive.

If you stick with heading west on US 40, US 191 crosses the dam at Flaming Gorge Reservoir and you can drive to the base of the dam where rafters and fishermen put-in for float trips. There are a number of motels and cabins catering to Flaming Gorge and Green River paddlers at the little community of Dutch John. A little further up US 191 is Rock Springs/Green River, WY, with Green River the nicer of the two burgs (Rock Springs has a bad reputation as a rough-and-tumble oil town). Very nice country between Vernal and Green River, including the dam area/Dutch John.

Foy

3. Default

Thanks Foy...that's given me a totally different approach, so I really appreciate your input. You've now got me thinking about my return back to Denver...and am pondering SD? Will do another post but if you've got any bright ideas about this, it be great...you're obviously the font of all knowledge!

sarah

4. Default Where's good between Dubois WY, Mount Rushmore then Cheyenne???

I know it's a big area and one that we haven't really thought about heading out to....but from a roadtrip around CO and WY, we thought we could maybe take a look at SD on our way back down from Yellowstone to Denver.

Does anyone know this area and where would you visit (without going toooo far east!)

Thanks for taking the time to read this. This forum is fantastic!

cheers

sarah

Moderator Note: Please don't create multiple threads about the same trip.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 04-04-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: merged

Default piecemeal

It really works much better if you tell us the details of your entire trip, so we can get a complete picture of what you want to do. Asking for us to help, we you only give us bits of your trip is kind of like asking us to draw you a portrait, when you're standing behind a curtain.

6. Default First time round trip from Denver - Please ignore my other posts!

Following advise from a friend, I've been asked to give details of our whole planned trip...rather than bits! Which is fair enough. Apologies for doings people's heads in if that's the case!

Anyway, we're plannng on flying into Denver at the beginning of September and the approximate triangle we're looking at is Denver to Yellowstone, then across to Mount Rushmore and back down to Denver. It'd be great to go to Devils Tower on the way through (big sci-fi fans) but, barring that, we are open to suggestions from people who know! We've got just over two weeks and don't mind putting in bigger miles on certain days. Ideally we'd like to spend 3 nights in Yellowstone but, again, if we could get some help on where to go (and stay) it'd be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

sarah

Moderator Note: Again, please stop creating new threads about this trip. The advice you've already been given is still relevant and will help others provide additional useful information.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 04-04-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Merged Again

Default A few ideas.

Right out of the box I would be looking to a trip into Rocky Mountain NP, and if open, a drive across the Trail Ridge road from Estes Park to Grand Lake, the highest continuous pave road in the USA ! Flaming Gorge as mentioned by Foy is somewhere I would like to stop, but as of yet haven't. Then continue through Jackson and the Tetons to Yellowstone.

Exiting Yellowstone you could drive the spectacular Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge, again if open. Heading east to SD there is Bighorn canyon and forest and around Rushmore, Custer State park, Wind Cave NP, Crazy Horse memorial [under construction] and a little further east you will find Badlands NP. Back to Denver you could drive through the Oglala National Grasslands and Nebraska National Forest.

With the other places mentioned above, that should be more than enough to get you started. I would suggest you pick and choose to fit with your planning, interests and timing, until you have a route outlined that you think is manageable. When you have done so, place your itinerary Here in this thread and then we can help to 'fine tune' it.

Enjoy the planning !