1. Default Road trip across country and back!!

Hello. I want to do a road trip from Maine to California to Florida and back to Maine. I would like to do it this summer and time and money are not that big of an issue; for this is something I really want to do. I need a route and list of places I can stay and I always want to visit the best attractions along the way such as the Grand Canyon and National Parks.

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

This is a big undertaking, but would be well worth the time you take to do it. The best way to start planning such a trip is to take out a map of the US, or an atlas, and start picking out places that you really want to see. Put a sticky note or a pin (if the map is on a wall) by each place. As you do that, a route will start to present itself. Once you know more about where YOU would like to go, we can help you with the details. Otherwise, a trip would become our trip and not yours.

You said that time and money are not an issue. That's a good thing. You're talking about a 10,000-12,000 mile trip. Just driving these routes can take about 20 days (at 500 miles a day), so you'll need to allot some time to stop and see these things.

Have a great time with the planning!

South of England.

Default Sounds like a lot of fun !

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

With little time or money issues and the whole country to cross, [Twice !!] there will be literally thousands of route and attraction options.

The beauty of the open road is that you get to go where you want, when you want. There is no one 'best route' or 'must see', these will come as you research for places and things that are of interest to you and your tastes, something we know nothing of. Make it your own ! You should certainly be looking at taking different routes out and back to visit new attractions, but you can combine all sorts of route numbers to take you to the places you want to go, you haven't got to follow a particular route, or someone elses.

I would get a good wall map of the USA and start researching, using all the RTA resources, such as searching the forums and checking out the resources in the tool bars above. Certainly keep asking questions as you plan, but before we can give any meaningful advice you need to get some dots on the map. Once you have done so I'm sure we can come up with alternative suggestions and help you to 'Fine tune' what you have come up with.

Enjoy the planning, it's an exciting part of the journey as a whole.

Edit] So pretty much what Donna said while I was still typing lol
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 03-29-2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Slow fingers.

4. Default

When are you traveling? I would like to join you from LA to Miami.