Thread: Adventure Time

RoadTripper 1568 Guest

Default Adventure Time

So my family and I will be driving from NY to Vegas starting Friday. We'll be taking 80-76-70-15. Best part, I plan on arriving by Monday. years back my friend and I did riverside CA to NY in 52 hours (going to CA was 5 days due to some overnight stops) so I don't think my arrival time is too exaggerated. Let's see how 3 kids, 2 dogs, and a wife slow me down. Hopefully we'll see some nice sights along the way. I don't recall much from my first drive 12 years ago. I can't wait to see my gas receipts as we'll be riding in this

Thanks to the fuel calculator I've got a pretty good idea already

Default How loving is your family?

Sorry, but that's way too fast for a family road trip. And your dogs will need exercise time too. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum and thanks for using the Fuel Cost Calculator tool.

It's about 2600 miles from NY to Las Vegas and if you are planning to do this in four days, you'll need to cover at least 650 miles per day, and that translates into about 12 hours per day in the saddle (with fuel stops, food stops, dog walks, etc.). Your family might dump you on the side of the road....

Years back I did LA to Washington DC in about 65 hours -- with a co (pro) driver. But we never recommend that anyone with a family on board EVER travels more than 10 hours per day.

Mark

RoadTripper 1568 Guest

Thanks for the welcome. I allotted 14 hours a day on the road. I used our previous drives from ny to fl, ny to sc, and ny to ga (multiple times all nonstop) to estimate the ride. And i drove those solo. This drive, I'll have some help. I believe it's doable but I won't risk safety. If rest is needed it will be taken.

Default Safety isn't the only issue

Safety is, of course, always a valid concern, but spending 14 hours on the road for four days is a bear and guaranteed to lead to frustration and cranky passengers. What happens after you arrive in Las Vegas? Will you be staying put and/or how long after arrival will you be hitting the tarmac for the return trip?

Here are some tips about planning Family RoadTrips you might find useful.

And some road games....

Mark

I have to agree, the real tragedy of your plan is that you are basically teaching your kids that roadtrips are horrific, boring ordeals and it will hard for them to ever appreciate them later in life. Even if in jest, your statement wondering how your family will slow you down, is like nails on a chalk board.

A roadtrip could be a fantastic experience for your family where you'd actually be able see some nice things and end up with some great memories to last a lifetime. You'd only need a day or two more to make a huge difference. Instead, you're going to force your family to work double shifts for 4 days in a row. I imagine you'll make it there fine, but I'd be shocked if your family members walk away from this trip with any good memories.

RoadTripper 1568 Guest

Well, thanks for the encouragement. And for saying I'll be torturing my family. I will staying in Vegas for 4 days before heading back. I'll apologize to my family for trying to make the most of the few vacation days I have left since I used many of them when my wife was sick. I envisioned a long fun trip but according to you, it'll be torture. That is of course because you know how and what we do when go on road trips. The real tragedy is that i try as the sole provider of the house try to take them somewhere they've never been and do things I never did as a kid. Add in the fact that if i get the new job I'm trying to get, it'll be 10 months before we could try to do something again and I'd be relocating for that time while they stay behind. But again, you being an expert, know what's good and what isn't.

Thanks again

RoadTripper 1568 Guest

Thank you mark for the tips and constructive advice. I'll stick to those parts of the site as i've been doing.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-28-2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: sorry, but harsh comments are not part of the protocol here.

Default There are other ways of doing family road trips!

Sounds like you've been juggling multiple tasks. We're not trying to be difficult here or discourage you. But we do have a good deal of experience in planning and executing road trips.

What about if you chose a destination that was less demanding in terms of driving distance? Perhaps something in Missouri or even the Dakotas? You could still give your family a wonderful holiday without the challenge of living in very tight quarters for eight days of petal-to-the-metal endurance run.

I love Las Vegas -- I've lived there for over a decade -- but it really seems like a long ways to go...

Mark

RoadTripper 1568 Guest

I made a promise that I intend to keep. I understand that you guys have experience but this isn't my first journey either. I didn't come to ask if it can be done. I KNOW it can be done and I intend to do it. I could go somewhere else. It'd be cheaper and shorter. I've been to vegas many times. Now it's time for them to enjoy it and this is the way it's going to happen.

Default The Great Plains

If you were to drive as far as the Great Plains, there are dozens of memorable places you could explore as a family -- although looking at the weather, maybe you ought to consider going to the south?

Here's a little-known gem in North Dakota.

The Natchez Trace or the Great River Road are two well-worth road trips and you could adopt a more gentle pace.

Even professional truck drivers are prohibited from doing four 14-hour days in a row...

But you and your family might be the great exception to the rule and you'll all get so wrapped up in the adventure that it will go smoothly. But we've seen plenty of flame-outs over the years we've been managing this forum.

OK, we'll wish you and your family the very best journey. And I'll close this thread now, since I believe we've reached an impasse on this issue.

Mark