Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Need suggestions-RV road trip PA to Disney with small children

Hello All,

We are a new RV family and decided to go to Disney this summer with our two girls. We are staying in Disney for 10 days this summer (Wilderness Campgrounds). We would like to travel in the evening (other than frequent gas stops)starting in PA and stop overnight one time somewhere along the way. Any suggestions for a good/safe and quick overnight stop along the way? Also....any really fun things we must see along the way? Or on the way back? I am a little nervous about this trip, especially traveling with a small child and a easily distracted 7 year old. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Default I Take It..

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

...that you're going to Disney World and not Disneyland. Even at that, getting from anywhere in Pennsylvania to Orlando with only one overnight stop is going to be a very hard push in an RV. They simply go much slower than you are used to driving in a car and trying to cover a thousand miles (more or less) in two days will leave you NO time for "fun things...along the way." Your halfway point will depend, of course, on where in Pennsylvania you're starting out from, but assuming Harrisburg it would be around Fayetteville NC. If you plan to be driving in the evening, then you are also pretty much limiting yourselves to commercial RV parks, as state parks and campgrounds will typically be unmanned and have 'quiet times' and other restrictions on people pulling in when everyone else is trying to relax and sleep.

AZBuck

Quick, safe and free would be a truck stop - with permission, park where they ask you. It's not going to be peaceful or quiet, but it will be safe. You can't put your slides out or set up camp, you can just sleep. It would be courteous to give the establishment some business - buy a tank of fuel, go in for breakfast. If needed, some truck stops also have RV dump stations.

I'd spend at LEAST 2 full days, if not more, for the drive each way. Make frequent stops to let the kids get out and blow off some steam. If you want to do some FUN things, I'd make it a 3 day trip each way.

4. Default

Hmmm...good points-Night time does not make for good sight seeing and I do agree, we need more than one day. The good news is that we have plenty of time on the front end and the backend of our trip to make changes. We also don't leave until the end of June so we can really think things through. I also know that we will be able to make frequent stops for the gas and food.

So-Where are some must see places along the way? Remember-we have a two year old and a seven year old. Both very bright and love nature and the simple things in life. Again-thanks for the suggestions. It is much appreciated.

You still haven't said where in PA you are starting from, and the difference between starting in the eastern or western half of the state will mean two completely different routes.

Even with 2 full days, your time for stops will be quite limited, but there are always good parks and places to take a quick break to enjoy nature and let the kids run around not far from the freeway.

6. Default

So sorry-From York.

You have 3 basic choices from York - inland through the mountains (I-81 corridor), the I-95 corridor, and down the coast.

8. Default

I believe we are going I 95. I grew up in Virginia, If we were to stop there, I would know where to go but I think that would be too soon on our day one journey. I have been to Savannah, Georgia, but it has been some time since then. I know I loved it there but that was prior to kids. :)

Default Some Larger Stops

Michael previously pointed to you to a list of quick and easy stops every few hours along the major Interstate highways, including I-95, and I'd heartily suggest that you make use of them as you make your way to Orlando and back. Some other sites along the way that may not have been properly spaced for that list, or may be a bit farther off the road than the list's tight limit, or they cost a bit more than 'free', but are worthy of a side trip include: Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park, the Virginia Aviation Museum, Appomattox Manor, Historic Halifax (NC), Cape Fear Botanical Garden, Santee National Wildlife Refuge, Fort Pulaski National Monument, Timucuan Ecological and Historical Preserve, and Marineland of Florida....among many, many, many others.

AZBuck

10. Default

I have drove to DW many times from the NE and most of the time with a RV. I like the camp ground at Kings Dominion. Kings Dominion is an amumsment park just north of Richmond, VA. Good stop and fun for the kids. Next, I will drive down to SC. From SC, DW will be about a 8 hour drive. This will break up the drive over three days, be safe and add fun for the kids. Driving with children will force you to stop more and cover less ground. The kids love the camp grounds and swiming in the pools. Make it a fun experience vice a just a hell of a drive. just my thoughts. Also, time your drive past DC during a period that you will miss the DC traffic. If you leave at 0400 you should get to KD about 1200 which will allow for a full day in the park.