1. Default Miami to San Francisco Crosscountry

Hey,
    I and my two friends want to make a one way cross country road trip from Miami to San Francisco.
    We reserved a minivan one way(May 15th to 27th). I already bought plane tickets.

We have 13 days. miami-orlando-new orleans- houston-san antonio-el paso- grand canyon-las vegas-tijuana-san diego-los angeles-san francisco(via route 1)
    do you guys have any suggestions? What do you think about the time? do you think route 10 is a good idea?
    do you think camping is a good idea or to share a hotel room (in the route hotels are $30-$40 are they ok? they have 7 out of 10)

Thanks

google maps:
    http://g.co/maps/96b6y

Default A Few Possible Alterations

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Your basic routing as you show on your map is perfectly fine, but here and there you might want to make a few tweaks to it. Some changes you should consider are:

I-10 across west Texas can seem to go on forever. Take a look at perhaps heading up through DFW instead then following the Red River Valley to Amarillo, especially since you don't indicate that you plan to make use of the two greatest assets of the I-10 route through El Paso, Carlsbad and White Sands. If you do take a more northerly route, consider a short side trip to Santa Fe and stopping at Petrified Forest National Park.

A minor adjustment - From Flagstaff, take US-89 north for stops at both Sunset Crater and Wupatki National Monuments before taking the Rim Road (AZ-64) west from Cameron to Grand Canyon Village. This will have you driving for 25 miles with the Canyon (and the pull-offs and parking spaces) just off to your right. Then head south on AZ-64 south to Williams and I-40.

I would strongly recommend that you not cross the border to Tijuana. First of all, you will simply be unable to take the car across the border - it will be forbidden by the rental company, and you will have no valid proof of Mexican insurance because you won't have any. Then there is the fact that even if you simply walk across (You WILL need a passport to do even this) the border areas are just not safe at the moment. The only time that random violence seems to quiet down recently is when one drug/smuggling cartel temporarily gains the upper hand over its rivals. It's just not worth it.

Camping is fine in general if you are used to it and have the proper equipment to get a good night's sleep. But plan on using real campgrounds (State parks and national forests are the best and cheapest) and don't try to get by with sleeping in the car by the side of the road. You won't get a good night's sleep that way and you will probably be trespassing. $30-40 motel rooms are usually OK but not great. The problems with them have less to do with their initial quality than with the people who use them most frequently. My own experience with such motels is that they tend to be noisy and have many more than average maintenance problems. I generally try for just the next step up in quality, spending $45-60 per night. I find the rooms much better and the sleep to be of much better quality. Since you're splitting the cost 3 ways, the extra cost gets spread out a bit.

AZBuck

The biggest problem with cheap motels these days can be bedbugs. However, even higher priced hotels can have this problem. Check the room carefully before taking it.

4. Default

Thank you so much for your helpful answer. I really do appreciate it. Here is the latest route.
    http://g.co/maps/udcc5

Do you have any other comment our latest route?
    Last edited by AZBuck; 04-13-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Quote of entire previous post removed

To try and drive over 900 miles in one day is not safe nor fun, to try and do it on the first day of a multi day road trip is asking for trouble and could leave you feeling weary the whole trip. If you want to stop in New Orleans you should plan on arriving on day 2 and even out your other stops after that. If there is a particular reason to visit all the City's listed or you prefer Citys, that's fine, but with a lot of miles to cover, in not a large amount of time you are going to spend a lot more time in the car just getting in and out of them. For example in Texas where you are planning on visiting 4 Citys in four days, whereas it might be more comfortable taking a little more time in a couple of them and have more time from the car and perhaps breaking the journey to Santa Fe. Sedona is lovely, but you might be better off spending more time at the canyon. Maybe you could detour and drive through Monument Valley to GC. Is it worth going into the urban sprawl of LA for what will be a night and a few hours ? Is driving all the way to San Fran worth it if all you will end up seeing is the airport ?

If it's what you want to do, it's perfectly doable, [apart from day 1] but sometimes less is more. It's certainly food for thought.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    To try and drive over 900 miles in one day is not safe nor fun, to try and do it on the first day of a multi day road trip is asking for trouble and could leave you feeling weary the whole trip. If you want to stop in New Orleans you should plan on arriving on day 2 and even out your other stops after that. If there is a particular reason to visit all the City's listed or you prefer Citys, that's fine, but with a lot of miles to cover, in not a large amount of time you are going to spend a lot more time in the car just getting in and out of them. For example in Texas where you are planning on visiting 4 Citys in four days, whereas it might be more comfortable taking a little more time in a couple of them and have more time from the car and perhaps breaking the journey to Santa Fe. Sedona is lovely, but you might be better off spending more time at the canyon. Maybe you could detour and drive through Monument Valley to GC. Is it worth going into the urban sprawl of LA for what will be a night and a few hours ? Is driving all the way to San Fran worth it if all you will end up seeing is the airport ?

If it's what you want to do, it's perfectly doable, [apart from day 1] but sometimes less is more. It's certainly food for thought.
    It is 15 days trip and we want to do cross country. We will spend a night and 2 days in Miami. We don't want to stop in Orlando because we have been before. We are 3 people it will be 5 hours each person to drive directly to New Orleans. I think it is not bad. we are staying 1 day in New Orleans.
    And we will make some stops in Texas in less than 2 days. 1 day in Santa Fe. 1 day in Grand Canyon & Sedona. 1 day in LV. We still have 5 more days to spend in West Coast.
    Thanks

7. Default

We did it! It was such an awesome experience. good memories and lots of fun. Here is the route that we took. I will write some details later. Thanks for helping.
    cities that we stayed overnight
    -Miami
    -New Orleans
    -Austin
    -Grand Canyon
    -Taos
    -Las Vegas
    -San Diego
    -Los Angeles
    -San Francisco

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=M...t=h&mra=ls&z=5