Morgantown, West Virginia, United States

Default 10 or 12 Day Road Trip from Charleston, WV

my friend and I are planning a road trip leaving from Charleston, West Virginia around June 28. Originally, we wanted to go all the way to California, but from what I'm reading on these threads, now it doesn't sound like such a great idea since most of our time would be spent driving. Neither one of us are very interested in going to the Midwest, so.

North, or South? We'd like to visit a couple of major cities, but I think for the most part we're both more interested in scenic traveling and visiting a few nice beaches since we'll kind of be on a budget. We're both okay with camping where we can, or staying in a cheap hotel.

Recommend some places and some scenic interstate routes, please!

Thanks guys,

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

While you've narrowed things down a bit, you still haven't really taken the first step, and that's figuring out where you want to go. We simply can't answer a question of "north or south" for you because there are great things, including scenic stops, beaches, and great cities, to see no matter which way you go.

You are right that with 10 to 12 days, a trip to California would be too much to do much anything other than driving, but pretty much anything up to the Rockys would be within reach. You really need to sit down with your friend and a map and see what looks most appealing to you.

Once you've got more of a framework of what you want, then we'll be in a much better position to help.

Tucson, AZ

Default For My Part

If I were facing this dilemma, and had visited neither area before, I would opt for going north (and a bit east) up along the spine of the Appalachians into New England and then return along the coast down to the Delmarva Peninsula for some beach and wildlife and then return home through Annapolis and Washington. It's not that the South is devoid of scenic venues, and it certainly has better (longer, warmer, often less crowded) beaches than New England and the mid-Atlantic, but the Northeast is simply more compact, letting you get to more historic sites, scenic wonders (waterfalls, mountains, etc.), and coastline with less driving. If your passports are in order, you might also consider a quick visit up to Montréal and/or Québec for a taste of an entirely different culture as well.

But in the end, Michael is right, the choice of which way to go is entirely up to you and depends entirely on your tastes and desires.