Default Family Trip from Missouri to panama city beach Florida...neat stops along the way?

We are planning on driving from sw mo to panama city. My husband wants to drive the coast for Mobile to PCB. We are leaving on april14-15 and returning the 21-22. Just looking for family friendly places to stop along the way.

Tucson, AZ

Default Keep It Constantly Fresh

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If you plan to use two full days (but only two days) for both the trip down and the trip back, then you will have time for a few out-of-car excursions on the two legs, but they'll have to be near your main route(s) and not terribly time consuming. I would also recommend that you take different routes down and back so that you can see new things for the entire drive.

One way to accomplish those goals is to use US-63 to start out heading for Memphis where a visit to Mud Island might be in order. Then follow US-78 to Tupelo and perhaps a short visit to Elvis' Birthplace (much lower key than Graceland). Alt-US-45 south will bring you to within visiting distance of Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge and, after rejoining US-45 continue on to Mobile and perhaps a tour of the USS Alabama.

For something a bit different on the way back, initially head north on US-231 up through Montgomery for a little history of the Confederacy (their first capital was there) and join I-65. North of Birmingham you might want to check out Rickwood Caverns State Park before using AL-157 to cut over to Florence and then up AL-20 and TN-69 up to US-64 and the Shiloh National Military Park. Next up is US-45 north to Jackson and the Casey Jones Home and Railroad Museum. US-412 would then take you over to the boot heel area of Missouri and from there I-55 and US-60 should get you pretty close to home via a very pleasant drive through the Mark Twain National Forest.

You won't have time for all the possible stops I listed, but they should give you a pretty good idea of what's available.

Thank you do much! That gives me a few things to look at!