1. Default Dallas to Grand Canyon roundtrip

Hi:

This is my first posting so please be gentle if I break some rules.

I am planning a roadtrip from Dallas to Grand Canyon and back. I have heard that there is lots to see along the way and trip need not be exhaustive as it seems, given that it is about 16-17 hours drive.

I will have with me my parents as well as my little kids - 4 & 5.5 yr old.

What route would you suggest and points of interest to visit, so the trip is fun for both the adults and kids ?

I can do about 7-8 day long trip.

Thanks

Default A few suggestions.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

This is my first posting so please be gentle if I break some rules.
    Hey relax, we don't bite ! [not often anyway !] Lol

I have heard that there is lots to see along the way and trip need not be exhaustive as it seems, given that it is about 16-17 hours drive.
    Make no mistake, it is a 2 day drive at least, especially when considering the need of the Little ones. That won't leave you much time for anything other than short stops for fuelling both the car and yourselves and to let the Kids run around a little to let off steam.

You could do a 2 day trip one way and maybe take 3 days on the way back, taking a different route with time for a little sight seeing, leaving you a couple of days at the canyon. Or 3 days each way if you have 8 days. Along I40 you have Cadillac Ranch at Amarillo and the Petrified forest, even the opportunity to stay in a Wig Wam at Holbrook. Sunset Crater and the Cameron Trading post nearer to GC are other options.

Taking a different route home you could take a more southern route through Roswell [maybe something for the Kid's] and Carlsbad Caverns. These are just a few of many options so I would open up the map and have a look around the forums. In the tool bar above you will find the Map Centre [place your cursor over 'Members' tag] where you can find listed attractions.

3. Default

Thanks a ton. I will take your suggestion as a starting point and once I have a plan, maybe post it here for further comments. Thanks !!