1. Default LA/San Francisco/Death Valley/Las Vegas/San Diego/LA

Hi there

We are a family of 5 (3 teenagers) travelling from New Zealand for the month of April. Have read numerous posts on this site to try and ascertain a interesting month of travels. We fly into LA and spend 4 nights. Then drive up the coast road stopping overnight at Pismo Beach, then next night at Capitola Beach, then onto San Francisco for 4 nights. Due to the Tioga pass being closed, we are driving to Death Valley and staying overnight in Ridgecrest, then onto Death Valley for 1 night. Off to Las Vegas for 5 nights to relax(have been to the Grand Canyon) then driving via Hoover Dam to Lake Havasu, Parker and then onto Twentynine Palms overnight. Explore Joshua Tree NP next day and then drive through Palm Springs and down through the Anzo State Park to San Diego. 3 nights in San Diego then back up the coast to LA for 6 nights.

Does this all sound like a good plan, also any particular things that we should not miss, or avoid???

Thanks for your help.

South of England.

Default Yosemite is open. [And wonderful !!]

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !!

Your plan is well worked out but the one thing I would alter is Yosemite. Just because the Tioga pass will be closed does not mean you can't visit this wonderful place. In the valley the waterfalls will be flowing and are quite spectacular. I would highly recommend spending a couple of nights between SF and Death valley to explore this natural wonder. In fact you could add Sequoia NP to the list as well. Of course it is for you to decide what suits your tastes, but I personally think your trip is very biased towards the City, when there is so much wonderful nature to be seen.

3. Default

Thanks for your advice re Yosemite. We contemplated long and hard on this one and decided we would rather do it justice with more time on our next trip to the US. The bias towards the cities is due to travelling with our teenagers who enjoy natural wonders, but also the cities. We live rurally out in the country in New Zealand so the cities are a highlight for the kids. I have read that the drive down to Havasu City and then onto Parker shows spectacular views of the Colorado (hence the reason for this route) - is this so or are we taking a big deviation for no reason?

Melbourne, Australia

Default The other way around.

Dave's thoughts, were exactly mine.

The only other comment I have, is that I would look at doing the trip anti clockwise, and come down the Pacific Coast Highway from North to South. It is a much more pleaseant trip, with all the pull offs and view points on your side of this two lane road.