Default Mpls to San Diego - is this too much?

Hi all, Looking for input on the following plan - Mpls to San Diego (via Denver) and return (with a bit of a different route) in late April/early May over 18 days. My mother (in her 70's) won't fly, so I have suggested travelling to San Diego via car to visit her siblings.

We plan on 7 days out (with a stop in Denver to visit my brother for 3 nights) - with additional overnights in Grand Island, Bryce Canyon, Las Vegas/???. 4 days in SD. Then 5 days back (via Sedona, Santa Fe, Denver and Grand Island). We have a little bit of wiggle room with the schedule.

Questions include - how to use the 3 days from Denver to San Diego - would like to see Bryce Canyon area, not sure I need/want to stop in Vegas on this trip, but Bryce Canyon to San Diego seems like too far for 1 days drive, especially since Denver to Bryce Canyon is a big distance. Also, amount of miles from Sedona to Santa Fe and up to Denver - is this too much, should we be seeing other things along the way.

I am flying over from Melbourne and have allowed a couple of days either end to get organised and for jet lag. Also, looking for suggestions where to rent a comfortable vehicle for a reasonable price (I have auto club membership (RACV) if that is recognised for AAA discounts?). I am used to driving a Toyota 4WD at home and would like something similar.

On a separate note - this is a great resource! I wish we had something like this when we planned our drive up the west coast of Australia from Perth to Broome. We had a great experience but it was very hit and miss to get there.

Thanks for your ideas!

South of England.

Default It's a lot.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

From Denver you could head to Moab [Arches NP] and next day to Bryce canyon [possibly via Utah scenic Byway 12] and stop in Springdale near to Zion NP. You could then head direct to SD with a full day on the road. You won't have a lot of time to spare out of the car, but while in it, the passing scenery is pretty amazing ! I think you would benefit from a little more time to enjoy this amazing area, if you can 'swing it'.

You have close to 4 full days of driving to get home so you would need to pick your stops carefully. If you have not been, it could be a fine opportunity to visit the Grand canyon ! As I mentioned, I would add a day on the way out and sacrifice one in SD.

For car rentals, it really is a case of searching around for any deals that might be about.