1. Default 10 Day Trip - Battle Creek to Chicago Help Please!

Hi All,

I'm picking an RV up from Chicago this summer. I firstly have to head East to Battle Creek for a wedding, but then have nearly 10 days of free time. I thought doing a tour of Lake Michigan was a good idea. If you have and Do's and Don'ts and a list of places to stop I would be very grateful. If you think I should try another route altogether, please say.
    Rich, UK

Tucson, AZ

Default A First Read

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Questions about a Circle Tour of Lake Michigan have come up before. Perhaps the best discussion of the possibilities inherent in such a trip took place here. So have a read through that and then if you have any further questions, or particular personal interests that haven't been addressed, just let us know and we'll try to be of more specific help to you.

And, as a general rule, it's better to start your own discussion for your own trip rather than try to revive an old thread.

3. Default

Thank you for the link.

At the moment I am not sure whether I should concentrate the trip on a circle tour of Lake Michigan or push further on and go around the top of Lake Superior.
    Do you think that the extra distance of going around Lake Superior within the 10 days is achievable, and if so, is it worth it?

Rich, UK

Tucson, AZ

Default Your Call

By adding Lake Superior, you're upping the driving portion of your trip to around four full days. In an RV, that is not a ton of driving, and can be done relatively comfortably. It also lets you add such destinations as Pukaskwa National Park, Isle Royale National Park (but you can't take the RV over, just you), Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, and Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore to your itinerary. To me, that seems both eminently doable and worthwhile, but only you can make the final decision on how best to use your time.

Green County, Wisconsin

Perhaps another options rather than doing a loop over Lake Superior, you could go up the east side of Lake Michigan, across the South Shore of Superior, and then head down the St. Croix and Mississippi River valleys, before cutting back over to Chicago.