Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Unless you are used to working 3rd shift, leaving at midnight is a very bad idea. Realistically, you're not going to get much, if any quality rest just before you leave if you try to force yourself to sleep in the afternoon, when you are used to being awake. You'll be driving when your body thinks it should be sleeping. Plus, you're just going to be exhausted by noon the next day.

I can certainly understand getting up early and getting on the road, but you can overdo it and actually become counter productive. You'd be much better off leaving an hour or so before dawn.

Plus, from Sheboygan, your the fastest way west will involve starting your trip on 2 lane roads and you shouldn't have to worry about traffic at all. You'd want to head west on WI-23 and eventually get on I-90either at Portage or Mauston. Or, if you are heading up through Minneapolis, get on I-94 near Eau Clarie by going through Green Bay and Wausau. In either case, you should be out of the state in 5-6 hours at most.

Thanks for the advice and info, but I can sleep any time, day or night. I used to work third shift and all people said was, "get dark curtains, you'll never be able to sleep during the day" and yet, I never had any issues. Also, I take naps all the time (my naps are usually 4-5 hours) during the middle of the day without issue, so I don't think leaving at 12 will be an issue for me.

Also, the reason I want to leave at midnight is to AVOID traffic ON the 2-lane roads. I HATE getting stuck behind some slow poke going 55 in a 60 of 60 in a 65 for 20+ miles. so I imagine leaving at midnight will free me from most of those scenarios, at least for awhile.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-30-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: inline quote not needed here

Even if you can sleep at anytime it is still counter productive, because you're going to need to sleep again at some point, and you're just setting yourself up to need to sleep in the middle of the day the next day. If you leave at midnight, you'll have to be off the road again in the early afternoon to get rest again. If you try to drive from midnight to the following evening, you are not only going to be a danger on the roads, but you're setting yourself up to be too exhausted to enjoy yourself in the following days as you get into the new territory of the west.

If you leave in the early morning, instead of the middle of the night, you'll be able to maximize your driving time in the daylight. You'd also could still be at the interstate before traffic starts to pick up, although I'll tell you your idea about avoiding slow drivers at night is a bit flawed. You only have about 2-3 hours of non-interstate driving to start at most, and when you are, you are at a high risk of not being able to see wildlife and other dangers that could be in your path. I'll also say that in my experience, you're also much more likely to be bothered by a bored officer for a minor offense from midnight to 3 than you are from 4-6, and by being on 2 lane roads through towns its more likely that you'll see an officer and its much easier to miss something like a reduced speed sign where you can accidentally catch an officers attention. Those things wouldn't be a dealbreaker if you needed to be on the road at that time, but when you factor in the overall scope of your trip, I just don't see how it makes sense.

I understand what you're saying, and I'm not trying to be difficult, but if I drive until 7 or 8 that night, I think that's perfectly doable. That's only being awake for 18-20 hours straight (we've all been there) and driving for 12 or so of those.

My general plan as of now would be:

take a 1 hour break (give or take) for every 2.5 hours of driving...

2.5 DRIVE (12:00 - 2:30 am)
    1 BREAK (2:30 - 3:30 am)
    2.5 DRIVE (3:30 - 6:00 am) - 5 hrs driving
    1 BREAK (6:00 - 7:00 am)
    2.5 DRIVE (7:00 - 9:30 am) - 7.5 hrs driving
    1 BREAK (9:30 - 10:30 am)
    2.5 DRIVE (10:30 - 1:00 pm) - 10 hrs driving
    1 BREAK (1:00 - 2:00 pm)
    2.5 DRIVE (2:00 - 4:30 pm) - 12.5 hrs driving
    1 BREAK (4:30 - 5:30 pm)
    2.5 DRIVE (5:30 - 8:00 pm) - 15 hrs driving

which i'd rather max out at 12 hours at the absolute MOST. so i may push the start time back till 4 or 5 am... which should get me to North Dakota by the end of day 1, which is awesome.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-30-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: removed inline quote

I think you're pretty severely overthinking the break schedule. Really, what are you going to do for an hour at 2am? You can just let the trip happen, stopping when you see something interesting, or you just are ready for a break.

You should easily be able to make it to North Dakota on day one, even if you don't drive in the middle of the night. Last summer, I left my house south of Madison around 8am, made several stops, and stopped for the night in Fargo around 8 or 9 at night.

Also, if you are going via North Dakota, then you really don't have hardly any 2 lane roads on the start of your trip, as I believe its 4 lanes all the way, or at least nearly all the way from Green Bay to Eau Claire.

According to Wikipedia, WI-29 is now a 4 lane freeway/expressway from US-41 in Green Bay all the way to I-94, so you won't have to deal with ANY 2 lane roads. You won't have any problem getting from Sheboygan to Fargo in 12 hours.

MSP is your halfway point - and if you leave around midnight you will be hitting it in morning rush. Leave Sheboygan between 4 and 5 am, you will get through Green Bay before rush hour, through MSP after morning rush, and you will be in Fargo well before dinner. If you still feel refreshed, it's only another 1.5 hours to Jamestown and another 1.5 hours after that to Bismarck and that would get you well ahead of schedule. No NEED to leave at midnight and screw up your body clock for the whole trip.

On my way there I go "north" more and on the way back, I go "south" a bit.

Way there, (to Astoria which is my first "real" destination) I go passed / through Minneapolis, Fargo, Billings, and Spokane. On the way back I pass through Eugene, Boise, Idaho Falls, Casper, Rapid City, Sioux Falls and La Crosse.

I don't plan on stopping in these cities (I hate big cities) except to get gas and maybe find a neat restaurant.

The reason I'm kind of looking ahead in "chunks" is because once I hit ND / MT area, there aren't a lot of populated cities / towns that would have hotels to choose from and I don't want to be stuck driving for an extra three hours to find a hotel. eesh. especially if I've already been up for 16+ hours.

All in all when I leave I'm going to have a rough outline of where I want to be at the end of certain days to see if I'm still on track, otherwise I'm just going to be heading west.

I think you will find that there are plenty of hotels/motels all along your route - no way will you have to drive 3 hours to find one. Do you have a smartphone? If so, install the hotels.com app, it can tell you where the nearest ones are anywhere where you have data service. Interstates also have signboards before each exit that show what services are available near the exit.

Default One caveat: August Swim Leagues!

One thing you need to be aware of -- Traveling in that region in August will put you in the middle of the swim league season and many of the motels in the region will be alternating with hosting a dozen or more swim teams and their parents.

Smaller towns actually sell out of motel space during the swim season (on the weekends).

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-30-2012 at 06:32 PM.

i do have a smartphone. i probably will install that app just for the sake of time and convienence. and also since i will NOT be bringing my laptop along. i was originally going to bring it with, but honestly, all that will do is take up space (as little as it will). Most nights once i'm done driving / walking around / investigating, it'll be time for bed and then up and out the door. and while i can type faster than writing (to maybe jot down some thoughts on each day and the places i see) i still don't see me taking the time to fire up my laptop and write for an hour (give or take).

Mark - *sigh* i figure there will always be something no matter what time i go. and with the distance i'm covering, it will be almost impossible i'm sure to NOT run into some type of event, so i'll just have to keep an eye out for that and remember when the time comes. thank you for the heads up though, i never would have known otherwise!

also, i plan on leaving my cell phone OFF and in the glove box as much as possible. i don't need it and don't want to be bothered with endless emails, phone calls, texts and whatnot. and since i'm driving a whole bunch, it's not like i have time to text back while driving anyway - especially in places where i have no idea what the road is like or where i am! not to mention i want to enjoy the views.

also, one of my (weird) goals is to avoid ALL Wal-Marts. no matter where you are, somehow Wal-Mart is always the same life-sucking, boring place as the rest of them. went to one in NC a few weeks ago and it was like i was right back home. made me feel sick seeing as i was 600+ miles from home and yet, this awful place made me forget where i was and lose all excitement about being in NC. so no Wal-Marts for me! ***i know i can get cash if i make a small purchase for free here rather than using an ATM and getting a small fee, but most stores now have this option and i'd much rather visit a Target or Best Buy than a Wal-Mart***