Default Adivse from Pennsylvania to Sioux Falls,SD what route to take?

Hello! Just wondering if anybody has experience in going from Reading Pa to Sioux Falls South Dakota. We want to drive this summer to see our son play college football in SD. I did use map quest and I came up with the following,

I-80 West from PA to Indiana then 90 West toward Chicago, just north of Chicago then 90 West all the way. This route seems like it could have many problems around Chicago?
    or

I 80 West which I could take to all the way to Omaha,Nebraska then North to Sioux falls, SD.

Also I think another way would be I 80 West the shoot up around Iowa North.
    Just looking for the fastest and least prone to have have traffic backup.
    Also what amount of tolls could be expected for this?

Thanks for your time!
    Mark US ARMY VETERAN

Welcome to RTA!

There are actually several different ways to go. First of all, get a good paper map and take a look -- it is easier to see the entire picture with a paper map or atlas.

The first scenario WOULD take you right through Chicago. I don't blame you for being just a little bit leery of that! The tolls using I-80 would run about $15. Another thought: I-80 across PA to I-71 in Ohio, which you take south to Columbus and can pick up I-70 West there. You can take that to western Missouri, and pick up I-29 to Sioux Falls. It will be a few extra miles, but perhaps worth it for not worrying about tolls and Chicago traffic.

Donna

Thanks for your quick reply! Donna how did you calculate that? Also how could I integrate that route with my GPS or just my US atlas. Is there a way to map that out thru google travel or some other way?

Mark US ARMY VETERAN

I'm just a bit old fashioned -- I used my atlas (which sits next to me). Also, we used part of that route last year (I-80 across PA to I-71 to I-70), and were thinking about I-29 up to I-80 for this coming summer.

On one of the online map services, you can drag a route to something else by "click and drag".

Donna

OK Thanks! Definitely several routes to take for sure! I have driven from Minneapolis, and Omaha to SD, but not quite from PA. I 29 is real easy driving, no where the amount of traffic in PA. We had to pick up our son at Philly airport last night and took 3 hours to go 60 miles near I95, no accidents, just Philly traffic.

Mark US ARMY VETERAN

I wouldn't take I-70 all the way to Missouri - it adds quite a few miles and potential traffic problems in St. Louis and KC. Instead, pick up I-74 at Indy and take that to I-80 at Davenport Iowa.

That's actually the way I'd go in your situation, at least one way. I'd probably take I-90 through Chicago the other direction just to be different. (I-355 or I-294 can help you bypass some of the traffic).

I'm assuming your son is playing at Augustana?

Take US-222 to the PA Turnpike. Take that west to New Stanton and take I-70 west to Indianapolis, then I-74 to I-80 to I-29.

Bypasses:

Take I-470 around Wheeling, take the south I-270 around Columbus, take the south I-465 around Indy, take I-280 around Moline/Davenport (the I-80 bridge over the river is under construction and subject to big delays), stay on I-80 through Des Moines, and take I-680 to get to I-29.

Your toll will be $17.25 cash, $14.58 EZ-Pass on the PA Turnpike. There are no other tolls along this route.

Will this be the most direct route in your opinion? Any idea on the time frame it would take along with the mileage? Also the tolls, does that refer to the first route and not the bypass? I will need to purchase an US Atlas to bring with, instead of using GPS all the time.

My son actually attends Dakota Wesleyan University and plays for the Wesleyan Tigers, look for the only kid from PA. It is located just an hour west of Sioux Falls,SD.

Thanks,
    Mark US ARMY VETERAN

The most direct route is going to be to take the Tollways through Chicago. That's about 1350 miles to Mitchell. The I-70/I-74/I-80/I-29 route adds about 75 miles, but you eliminate a lot of the tolls and are much less likely to run into traffic.

The toll price listed by GLC was just for the PA Turnpike, assuming you take the I-70 route. There are no tolls on the city bypasses he mentioned along this route. You'll add quite a bit more in tolls across Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois if you go via Chicago.

Either way, you're looking at a 2.5 day drive, and yes you should purchase an Atlas even with a GPS.

I went to Augustana in Sioux Falls, so that was the reason for my guess. Mitchell is a different story!

Going via Chicago will only save you an hour and a half at the most, and will increase the toll bill to around $60 cash or $40 EZ-Pass. You will lose much of that saved time if you go up to I-80 from Reading, there's no direct express route.

That's PA Turnpike to Ohio Turnpike to Indiana Toll Road, exit on 80/94 at Burns Harbor, then I-80 to I-355 to I-290 to I-90. Going to I-80 and cutting out the PA Turnpike would save you around $20.

Walmart, book stores, and truck stops sell the Rand McNally road atlas, and you can get free maps from AAA if you are a member.