Default ROAD TRIP/HONEYMOON michigan to florida.. HELP!

I'm so confused on how to plan this trip.. but I have some ideas of what to do.. after reading millions of others post.. our wedding day is Friday May 18, 2012 and we would like to leave Saturday May 19,2012... we'd be coming from Macomb,Michigan and plan on ending in florida.. maybe siesta key or Amelia island... I've heard great things about both these places..along the way I'd like to stop Myrtle Beach, SC, Charleston, SC, and Savannah, GA...

I have no ideas on where else to stop.. also.. my husband is from southern Italy and has not seen much of the usa.. nor have I! but I'd like to really surprise him on this little adventure... I'm 23 and he's 26 both are pretty laid-back and enjoy simple beautiful scenes, romantic beaches, good food and love history... we only have 10-11 days... i know we would enjoy driving along the east coast... i also thought of somehow seeing Washington D.C but i have a feeling its a bit to out of the way... we were possibly thinking of flying into s.c and driving from there.. we would like to stay on the beach most of the time...ohh jeez i really have no idea how to do this... someone please help!!

Thank you =)

Tucson, AZ

Default The Thing We Need to Know

Benvenuta! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

We are more than happy to help you plan a wonderful honeymoon, and you've already done a great job of choosing some wonderful locations, but the one thing we would all need ot know is how much time you will have for this adventure. That, probably more than anything else, will determine how much you can see, where you can get to, and whether an all driving or some fly/drive combination trip would work better.

Last edited by AZBuck; 03-09-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Tucson, AZ

Default Never Mind...

D'oh! Of course, you already said how many days you have - 10 to 11. You can actually have a very nice all driving trip in that time, hitting most of the places you listed. That will save you considerably over a fly/drive trip and, in these days of overbooked airlines and long security lines, be much more pleasant. I would, however, suggest that you aim for some of the closer shore points rather than trying to get too far down into Florida. Good beach is good beach, and I suspect that you and your new husband would rather stroll on a good beach at sunset than spend the time driving several hundred more miles south. To that end, I'd suggest that you look at a place my wife and I went to a few years back - Seabrook Island south of Charleston or its next door neighbor, Kiawah Island. These are resort communities where several of the properties are rented out by the week by the owners. You can do a search on {vacation rental Seabrook Island}, etc. to see what's available. This would put the two of you in a condo on the shore with a private beach and within easy driving day trips of Savannah and Charleston - even Myrtle Beach wouldn't be too far for such an outing - but still let you return to your own 'home' each evening without the hassle of packing/unpacking. Taking a week's rental there would leave you 4 days or so for the drive down and back which leaves you a little time for some scenic byways through the Great Smoky Mountains, the New River Gorge of West Virginia, Amish country in Ohio, things like that. If that sounds like a basic plan that appeals to you, let me know and we'll see if we can help you work on the details.